96 challenger engine lost compression mag side

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trexbob

Need expert opinions! insides exposed: 96 challenger engine lost compression mag side

Just took my 96 Challenger out last weekend for the first time this season. Ran nice about five minutes then sputtered and died. Plugs looked fine but dry. Troubleshooting this weekend I noticed the gas tank rubber cap where the pickup and hoses are attached was loose/off, so probably the reason the plugs were dry...this system uses gas tank pressure, right?
Anyways, put it back on and tightened down with a hose clamp, now the PTO side plug was getting gas but not the mag side. Compression test revealed 0 on mag side, 150 on PTO side. :( Ouch. So I haven't got into the engine yet, but am assuming it will need a major rebuild or get a new long block. Was the gas tank pickup cap the culprit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a similar problem with my 96 speedster. 0 compression on the mag side cylinder and the plug was dry. I opened it up and found this:
20160605_114625.jpg20160605_114631.jpgThe rings are shot, the piston and cylinder wall is scored and the piston has a chip in it.
Ordered a cylinder exchange kit from SBT and replacing it tomorrow.

Well that does not look good at all! Let me know how the cylinder exchange works out...

I almost have my engine out of the boat now and will certainly post pics of whatever carnage I may find in there. I am thinking of getting a new carb for the mag side just to be safe but not sure yet, will make the final decision based on the engine condition. Felt like it was running better than ever prior to the sputtering and dying.

So. It looks like I found the problem causing no compression:

The piston broke near the rave valve side...

Fatigue or lack of fuel? Or clearance issue...? Though I wouldn't understand why a rave clearance issue would happen now...after working fine last year.

Also, I see the PTO side cylinder has an issue - sleeve separation? Will this kill me as far as this engine being a good core for sending in to SES or SBT?

Here's a shot of the head if anyone is interested:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back