96 Challenger Carburetor Specs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

I can't find the specs anywhere. I've read that High Speed should be 0, and Low Speed anywhere from 1 - 1.5 turns out +/- 1/4. But this is a pretty significant difference in the starting point.

So what should the true stock adjustments be for the 96 Seadoo Challenger?

Is this the correct stock setting for the 96 Challenger?
IDLE - 2 turns
HS - 0 turns
LS - 1 1/2 turns +/- 1/4 turn?

I bought new plugs to dial this in. Currently for High speed I'm at 0 for both MAG and PTO. For Low Speed I'm at about 1 3/4 MAG and 1 1/2 PTO. The PTO spark plug is chocolate brown but the MAG is lighter. This is after maybe 1 hour messing with the adjustments. But I don't think I should be opening the MAG LS adjustment more that it's at right now.

I'm going to reset back to LS 1 1/2 turns and IDLE to 2 turns for tomorrow as my starting point and adjust from there to get this right. Any advice on the correct stock settings, and adjustment procedure would be awesome.

Thanks!

Awesome thank you! Where did you find this?

I'm going to reset them both to 1 turn out and take it form there again. The only issue is that according to this site https://www.seadoosource.com/carbadjust.html you need to get new spark plugs, put around at 1/4 throttle for 5 minutes, then kill the boat and check the plugs for color.

I was doing this a few days ago and that's why I forgot the clamp. Every time I stopped, I clamped the hose to be sure I'd have no issue starting. Until I almost sunk it.

I'm assuming this is the best procedure out there for tuning these carbs. Unless someone else has a better one?

I'm getting 6850 top RPM and 41-45 MPH top speed on GPS. So I'm close, but not quite there.

Note: Compression is 140 on both and carbs were recently rebuild with 35PSI PopOff.

Ok, I reset everything as follows;

Procedure:
1. Backed out Idle set screw so it wasn't contacting butterfly plate.
2. Pulled link between carbs.
3. Set throttle cable to retract back to where the butterfly is completely closed on the Mag.
4. Set slack in cable at throttle end at the helm control so there was only slight slack before engaging cable at the carb end.
5. Checked link between carbs and adjusted it to be the perfect length to set the butterfly on the PTO side closed exactly where the MAG closes.
6. Adjusted Idle set screw exactly 2 turns in.
7. Set both MAG and PTO low speed adjusters exactly 1 1/4 turns out for my starting point. Since it's 1 turn +/- 1/4 turn, I'm starting on the high end vs the low and if the plugs look wet I'll set them back to 1.
8. Checked the oil pump alignment and it's slightly higher than perfectly on the line. I prefer a little more oil and I'll adjust accordingly if it's an issue later. I attached a picture of current alignment.
IMG_8916.JPG
9. Reset the gap on the plugs to exactly 0.20 - 0.21.

Expected Results:
1. Technically this should perfectly sync the carbs.
2. This should also ensure exact Idle.
3. This should ensure the correct amount of fuel and oil is getting delivered.

If any of this seems wrong, please let me know!

Note: I hate hanging upside down in the fumes. Headache, nausea and dizziness is no fun but totally worth it if this does the trick!

I got the specs from the Bombardier shop manual. I was a member on another seadoo site years go that had them available. But I googled it and found one here.

SEA-DOO SPEEDSTER 5894 SHOP MANUAL Pdf Download

I recommend you download a copy for reference. They are pretty helpful.

But it sounds like you are going to have this all working like new very soon. Also, I would not expect anything faster than 45 mph. That's pretty much the most this boat can do. My boat hit 7100 RPMs, max speed was 44 and that was smooth water with no wind and only me onboard with new wear ring and impeller 150 psi in both cylinders.

I got the specs from the Bombardier shop manual. I was a member on another seadoo site years go that had them available. But I googled it and found one here.

SEA-DOO SPEEDSTER 5894 SHOP MANUAL Pdf Download

I recommend you download a copy for reference. They are pretty helpful.

But it sounds like you are going to have this all working like new very soon. Also, I would not expect anything faster than 45 mph. That's pretty much the most this boat can do. My boat hit 7100 RPMs, max speed was 44 and that was smooth water with no wind and only me onboard with new wear ring and impeller 150 psi in both cylinders.
This is very helpful to know! It seems maybe I’m trying to get more than it’s capable of. With mild chop I’m getting about the max speed with a full tank. I’ll stop trying to squeeze more out lol I have the engine running smoooth right now and responsive!

But, question, when you’re at speed close to 45 do you have to hold your steering wheel to either direction to keep it straight? I’m fine and straight as an arrow up to 35. But 35-45 in have to hold the wheel to the left as though the water is shooting out to the right side and trying to push the boat to the right.

Just cruising up to 35 is perfect, but beyond that it seems to want to fight me a little.

There was always a slight pull to one side at higher speeds. I can't remember which side anymore since I sold it and it has been almost 2 years since I was on it. But it always did it. I never really thought much about it. I just thought it was normal. It's not like if I removed my hands the boat would take a hard 90 degree turn. It would just gradually turn.

There was always a slight pull to one side at higher speeds. I can't remember which side anymore since I sold it and it has been almost 2 years since I was on it. But it always did it. I never really thought much about it. I just thought it was normal. It's not like if I removed my hands the boat would take a hard 90 degree turn. It would just gradually turn.
This is great to know! Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah if I let go it doesn’t do a hard turn, just gradual. It’s just annoying.

Im going to readjust the steering to be a little more biased to the left and this should help.

I also bought Nauticus Smart Tabs SX that I’ll be installing today as well.

Between the two of these things the ride should improve significantly!

I’ll report back

This is what I did. It was a bit of a pain to figure out the placement but I think it came out pretty decent.

IMG_8931.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back