96 Challenger driveshaft question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

Can someone clarify what o-rings and metal clips are supposed to be on the 3 grooves of the driveshaft? All the pics just show 3 o-rings, but mine had a half of a metal clip in one groove and no o-rings.
I am examining the pump and the shaft because I have RPM's but only an idle thrust.
Also, is there a way to determine the amount of wear on the needle
bearings and shaft that will need replacement or cause my prob?
Thanks so much for any help on this.
LindaP

hi Linda...
yah, think when they went to this set-up(3 o-rings), that they found quickly, to install the c-clip rather than o-ring in its place. As far as needle bearing, you should have the carbon ring assy, so no needle bearings in there, should have an accordian boot look'n thing, right?..:cheers:

Driveshaft

Yes, I do have the carbon ring. Are you saying then I need two o-rings
and one c-clip or just the c-clip? Thanks for responding Timmy.
LindaP

LindaP.......

Well how you been gettin along? Ain't heard from you in quite some time. Your boat must have had a good season this year.......

Follow timmys advice.....the carbon seal and boot:cheers:

Hi, It's good to hear from you too. I only got to use my boat this year about 10 minutes before it broke down
again. I had just picked it up from the shop, with engine
work and a check over, when I heard this bing noise and
then only high rpm and could only idle. I now have the
pump off to try and find what went wrong. I will follow
what Timmy suggested. I am also missing the rubber
spacer at the pto end, so I will also order that.
We had so much fun in that ten minutes that I can't get
discouraged. Hopefully, it will be up and running again
soon. I'll keep in touch and let you know.
Till then

Wearing ring.......

Linda, I just re-read your post and am wondering why your looking at the carbon seal and boot. I agreed with timmy because in your post, your asking about it. But now that you re-posted, it sounds like your wearing ring folded in on you. I don't remember you replacing that last year.

If you have the pump off or if it's still in the boat, get under and look inside with a flashlight at the impeller. Look where the blades come out to the edge. You souldn't see anymore that about 1/16 of an inch between the impeller and wearing ring. If it gave way and folded in, you'll see plastic pieces too. Then, look in from the nozzle end, you may see more plastic in the stator area........

Your boat and carbon ring are only a problem if your leaking water into the hull. They have nothing to do with forward thrust of the boat.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back