951 to 995 Fullbore Rebuild!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a different thickness. I used an aftermarket gasket and it wa the wrong one. So I ended up buying the oem gasket from Seadoo. No sealant required. Just make sure the flanges on both sides are clean and use proper bolt torque specs.

I think my problem lies here. I was provided two intake gaskets that seem to be a little thicker than the ones I took off, I had a left over SBT gasket kit from another build and there are 4 gaskets in that kit. Now im confused, as the manual doesnt specify exactly, or I just cant find it within. Seems like this should be something I know but... In the pic below I have the bigger black ones installed, they are a different brand than these looks to be better quality imo, however I don't recall putting in the smaller ones, where would/should they go?Screenshot_20180219-081541.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me, or did the engine idle just fine for a second or two,, and then skyrocket in the video?
nevermind, you stated that.. reading is stupid this morning.

carb to reed is square though, reeds have a rubber housing around the base
No, intake to reeds is square. Carb to intake is the oval.
Forgetting the small gaskets between the air cleaner fitting and carb will not cause a runaway.
A runaway will be caused by either the idle being adjusted too high, too lean of a fuel air mixture or an air leak after the throttle butterfly.

I still say you should have tested for air leaks before installing the engine.

No, intake to reeds is square. Carb to intake is the oval.
Forgetting the small gaskets between the air cleaner fitting and carb will not cause a runaway.
A runaway will be caused by either the idle being adjusted too high, too lean of a fuel air mixture or an air leak after the throttle butterfly.

I still say you should have tested for air leaks before installing the engine.

Yeah, the leak down test train has left the station for now. I'll tackle the usual suspects this week if I cant hunt it down, maybe that will be the thing to do. The more I think of it the more I think it is a leak between carb and intake, I am missing the bottom nipple on the mag intake and although i believe it is lined up, there may be a small gap. Stay tuned, we'll get'r done!

What nipple is missing?
on the gasket you'll see two small holes. One on top, one below. I assume they are guide pins/nipples for the gasket to stay in place while you attach the carb. I am missing the Mag lower one somehow, it was sheared off at some point.

Update: I believe I've sorted it out!

Here's what I did: put about 1mm of slack into throttle cable. dropped carbs, inspected gaskets, took super extra care when lining carbs back up, torqued down to spec, reset LS screw to seat, set them at 1 1/2 for now, reset idle.

was a bit harder to start, by hard I mean 3-4 sec hold on button, and she kicked over and stayed there, no spikes.

Idle is very low sitting at about 1.7k, but I was more concerned with the lean condition. Very happy with what I got and decided to call it a day and walk away with my small victory. I ran out of daylight, and it's a bit cold here in sunny San Diego today a blizzardly 50 degrees brrrrrrr. so tomorrow I'll fine tune, button her up, put up most of the tools and hopefully get her in the water for seatrial this sunday.

Good luck and glad you got it sorted out. Make sure you raise the idle when you put it in the water. I like to start them still strapped to the trailer the first time to set the idle and check for leaks.

Good luck and glad you got it sorted out. Make sure you raise the idle when you put it in the water. I like to start them still strapped to the trailer the first time to set the idle and check for leaks.
thank you. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes. really appreciated all the help and support.

Here is the first start up after I made my corrections and adjustments. I did a second and third startup to confirm and it ran better, I just didn't get around to filming it as the wife was rushing me to get in house for dinner:D. More tuning to go, then extended run on the hose, and hopefully seatrails this or the next weekend.

The older style with the greasable seal will do much better. I have personally seen the carbon ring ones get too hot to touch after about a minute.

Someone did a thermal video here on the carbon seal. It got to X degrees and didn't get hotter.

Well I did the sea-trials today and ummmm, let's say it didn't go as planned. Details coming soon, still licking my wounds. Nothing blown, but wayyyyyy down the rabbit hole I went. (pic: Mag-left, PTO-Right)20180225_115654.jpg

I've heard everything from 30 secs, to 5 minutes lol. I usually keep it down to about 2 mins. Does anyone have verifiable facts on this?

I run them about 30 seconds or so without the hose. The manual says 5 minutes on the hose.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back