951 to 995 Fullbore Rebuild!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the lean plug and strange behavior I would do a proper pressure test of that engine before you blow it up.

@racerxxx was making blockoff kits.

I have also made them from sheets of neoprene rubber using the gaskets as templates and sandwich them between the carbs and pipe. You only have to block off the carbs and pipe.

If your interested just let me know (pm me) and I'll make a set. With mine you'll need to have the exhaust manifold on.

Sorry that was dumb about both accelerator pumps. Do you maybe have a clogged accelerator pump line or nozzlefor mag carb??

I left out a lot of the details, but basically I did play with the LS settings a bit and think I found a sweet spot at about 1 and 3/4, and the plugs evened out but never got them right to where I wanted them. I'll upload some pics here in bit. on my second series of break in I was varying between 1.5-4k rpm, when I hit 4k it bogged, didn't die just bogged. so to see if it really was lean I pulled the choke and sure enough right at about 1/8 (just a smidge) the ski ran like a dream.

so def was a lean condition. I was running 40:1 plus OI, and super low revs while testing in 50 degree water. I reallllllly don't want to have to pull the motor out, but I also reallllllly don't want to buy a new one lol.

Ended up pulling the carbs beach side (that was not fun) and found that one of the hoses on the MAG side wasn't fully clamped, also checked the bolts on the manifold and was able to hand torque almost a full rotation on each, HOWEVER, manual says 5lbs of torque, so I also am not confident the leak was there. unfortunately once I pulled the carbs I fell down the rabbit hole. first I stripped the brass fittings for the choke, then the Oil pump spring came off, and then I noticed my throttle cable had frayed badly. but I really wanted to just get the dang thing back together to see if I had found it.

Ultimately after putting around for about 20 minutes for the day, and 4 hours wrenching. I threw in the towel. Ordered a new cable today, and going to retread those fittings for the choke.

Is it possible to do a leak test while the motor is in the boat if I pull exhaust?

did I mention I reallllly don't want to pull this motor lol.

I have a very similar build going into a 96xp. Its a 995 with the ‘white’ pipe and pro k’s. I figured jetting out with simple mathematics. Your adding 5 percent increase in displacement so add 5 percent to jetting size. But, im NOT running an accelerator pump. So right now i have my carbs jetted at 90 on the pilot and 180 on the main. But, im running stock size needle and seat. The low and highs are set at 1.5 turns out. I had lows a turn out when i first got it running and it sounded lean so went to 1.5 out and it is nice and smooth. I used my mathematics as a good baseline but havent had it out in the water yet though. You also have to factor in the flame areestors to your jetting. As far as i can tell im good on the low end. Waiting for summer to ‘fine’ tune the rest. I like my machines running a little fat. Im not saying jetting is your issue but after you find your source of lean on one cylinder, you may wanna look closely at jetting. I maybe going up another jet size on main.

I have a very similar build going into a 96xp. Its a 995 with the ‘white’ pipe and pro k’s. I figured jetting out with simple mathematics. Your adding 5 percent increase in displacement so add 5 percent to jetting size. But, im NOT running an accelerator pump. So right now i have my carbs jetted at 90 on the pilot and 180 on the main. But, im running stock size needle and seat. The low and highs are set at 1.5 turns out. I had lows a turn out when i first got it running and it sounded lean so went to 1.5 out and it is nice and smooth. I used my mathematics as a good baseline but havent had it out in the water yet though. You also have to factor in the flame areestors to your jetting. As far as i can tell im good on the low end. Waiting for summer to ‘fine’ tune the rest. I like my machines running a little fat. Im not saying jetting is your issue but after you find your source of lean on one cylinder, you may wanna look closely at jetting. I maybe going up another jet size on main.
thanks.

I stepped my jetting up too, with the same theory just not as fat: 85P, 170MJ, 2.3N&s, pop-off is right around 19lbs.

I'm curious, the 96xp, is that a 787 swap to 951, and did you do the boring or bought it that way? Do you have a thread on the build? sounds interesting!

Also I find your jetting to be pretty damn fat lol, so with stepping out with jetting did you close up you LSJ's below factory. I thought 1.5 was the starting point.....

I'd like to hear about it after you get it in the water

This is the pace I traveled on the first ride that produced the first pic of the spark plugs. A few throttle blips, but nothing over 3.5k. If you guys can pick-up on anything any in the idle under h20 load let me know, it felt ok.

Last edited:
It was originally an 800. I have no build thread on it. I do have lows at 1.5 out from stopped. You also have to compensate slightly for the flame arrestors. Remember theres 4 fueling circuits in the carb not just 2. I did not bore it myself.

I would not try to chase an air leak in the hull.

You want it on the bench so that you can spray it down with soapy water and find the bubbles where the air leak is. A pip off pump will work but you need a low pressure gauge. You are only pumping it to 8 psi and want to see the single psi drops.

I would not try to chase an air leak in the hull.

You want it on the bench so that you can spray it down with soapy water and find the bubbles where the air leak is. A pip off pump will work but you need a low pressure gauge. You are only pumping it to 8 psi and want to see the single psi drops.
thanks, im going to tackle this weekend. Do you have a preferred soapy mixture? Also, lets say I find bubbles between top and bottom case....does it need to be cracked open?

Just a couple drops to some water. Nothing scientific. I've used wd-40 before. Where ever it leaks from its gotta come apart. Cutting corners is what will come back to bite you when you least expect it.

Alrigghhht after a lonnnng week of wrenching in my driveway, I think I've got'r sorted boys (and girls)! Did the leak down, and found nil. Pulled carbs, cracked them open reseated everything. Got a new throttle cable from a local shop, installed that (Thanks @mikidymac) you posted a quick way of doing this on another post that worked fantastic took me all of 20 mins. Put new clamps on all hoses, re-seated reeds, mani, fixed the issue I had with the stripped brass fittings on the choke (had to tap and thread 1up (5mm) then spent a good hour shaving down those bolts to clear the exhaust (not fun). Set oil pump just past center for caution, slapped in new plugs, and gave it a go. Fired up, sounds great. Now we go back for water test hopefully this weekend to see how she does. The plugs from 2 mins on the hose, were white, but both were even and wet which they were not before. I cant say exactly where the issue was as I tackled a bunch of things, and dont want to get ahead of myself as water test is really the only thing that matter. For what its worth I found a really good shop in Escondido, called Havasu Watercraft. It was like a mecca of ski parts and really knowledgeable staff.

I'll update with a vids and pics soon.

Thought I sorted it out...nope. Off to the shop we go, I just cant risk jacking this up with everything that has gone into it. Stay tuned...

Well She is in the $hop, hate to do it but I think its best to get this thing properly done and tuned. The shop really has won over my confidence so far. Took my gsx as well for an inspection, and looks like I've got another project coming up, and yai yah!

Attachments

• 20180312_083906.jpg
    20180312_083906.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back