RESTO 95 xp800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSquires

I recently found this XP on Craigslist (as well as a few other folks, based on this thread http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?81764-Someone-save-this-95-XP-800-in-Kansas-City!-Cheap!!! a few weeks ago, and immediately knew I wanted it... but wasn't sure I'd have the time for it. It took a few weeks to get an evening to go check it out, but I finally did...
I gave $350 for the ski and trailer, and brought it home 12/20/2015. I have not dove into it as of yet, other than to get some pics. I plan on digging into the ski over the next few weeks, and I will keep this thread updated on my findings and progress.
And now, for some photos.
20151220_110644.jpg
20151220_110652.jpg
20151220_110658.jpg
20151220_110705.jpg
20151220_110713.jpg
20151220_110719.jpg
20151220_110732.jpg
20151220_110743.jpg
20151220_110801.jpg
20151220_110807.jpg
20151220_110815.jpg
20151220_110833.jpg
20151220_110913.jpg

Plans are a restoration of the hull, and a budget resto of the driveline (IE if there's a 96 engine in there, meh, I wont actively seek out a 95 engine..)
I will get reproduction stickers, and attempt to sand and polish the gel coat back to life. At first glance, I though the coat was in for a major overhaul, in seeing all of the whiting, weird look all over the thing. Well, as I was working on another ski in the shop last night, I was pushing this one out of the way on one of my carts. When I found it's resting place, I noticed this... orange peel look all over the top of the hull (I hadn't paid that much attention up to that point.) Low and behold, the whitening... is clear coat someone sprayed it with at some point in time. I can literally scratch it off with my fingernail at the white spots. Someone also drilled a hole in the nose (ALA Yamaha) :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
its about time somebody snagged that one. Good price !

I can't believe they drilled a hole in the front, is the front tow hook missing ?

its about time somebody snagged that one. Good price !

I can't believe they drilled a hole in the front, is the front tow hook missing ?

nope, but there's no winch on the trailer that it's sitting on, so who knows...

Side note, this is the FIRST Seadoo I've bought that still has the pto cover on it. And it's one of the nicest pieces on the ski :thumbsup:

nope, but there's no winch on the trailer that it's sitting on, so who knows...

Side note, this is the FIRST Seadoo I've bought that still has the pto cover on it. And it's one of the nicest pieces on the ski :thumbsup:

lol. Figures that one of the least expensive pieces to replace would be inside :)

I used to save those but after I had about 10 stacked up I tossed them all in the trash. sure enough a week later I get a call from somebody needing one :)

i'm pretty sure thats a different length driveline...

is this the one ? (that's a good price $15 cheaper than I can get one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Drivesa...ash=item3f3796a119:g:bCEAAOxy9dVTkkZm&vxp=mtr

as far as the engine itself, the actual X motor is very rare, but any ole 787 will do.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. Figures that one of the least expensive pieces to replace would be inside :)

I used to save those but after I had about 10 stacked up I tossed them all in the trash. sure enough a week later I get a call from somebody needing one :)

i'm pretty sure thats a different length driveline...

is this the one ? (that's a good price $15 cheaper than I can get one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Drivesa...ash=item3f3796a119:g:bCEAAOxy9dVTkkZm&vxp=mtr

as far as the engine itself, the actual X motor is very rare, but any ole 787 will do.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

I'm constantly needing the covers.. they're either missing, or rubbed through.

when I say budget driveline, I meant I'll use easily accessible parts, not NOS 95 stuff. I've got several 787's laying around, if it's a 95 engine, I've been kicking around the idea of shelving it and actually running one that I've got handy...
Definitely not an X motor, I did scratch the paint off of the engine tag when I was checking it out.

Did that ski get clear coat sprayed on it and that's what is peeling off?

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

i love that u got this one. cant wait to see it all cleaned up n pretty. those trim tabs are KILLIN ME!

Me too, but a promise to my wife that I would not work on any skis this weekend has delayed any digging in. Happy wife, happy life.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You got that right! My wife got my finishing touches for my man cave for me for Christmas. I had to promise to give her a week though with no garage and Seadoo lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451101519.959709.jpg

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

my wife got me a Go Pro.. now I'm really ready for summer!

Ill see your Go Pro and raise you a drone :)

I already had a Go Pro so now I get to use it a little bit more, the drone has a place to attach the go pro! I will let you know, it is a little un nerving watching hundreds of dollars of electrical devices flying 100 feet in the sky. Lol. Good thing I got the 1 year insurance policy, doesn't cover the go pro though. It is fun!

Ill see your Go Pro and raise you a drone :)

I already had a Go Pro so now I get to use it a little bit more, the drone has a place to attach the go pro! I will let you know, it is a little un nerving watching hundreds of dollars of electrical devices flying 100 feet in the sky. Lol. Good thing I got the 1 year insurance policy, doesn't cover the go pro though. It is fun!

What one did ya get? Some are "rated" to carry a go pro but I wouldn't risk it as they fly like crap with em.

This is the one that I got. It is a good "starter" drone.

http://www . amazon .com/Ionic-Quadcopter-headless-absorption-Compatible/dp/B013J7QQXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451414043&sr=8-1&keywords=ionic+stratus

Lets start a new thread in the "off topic" section so we don't muddy this one up. Ill go over it more over there

Remove the spaces around the amazon to get to the link

I spent a little time on the ski yesterday, nothing too spectacular.. but here's where I'm at thus far.
The RV oil bath lines that are plugged in each end.. I removed the carb side plug, and a little bit of oil ran out.. but not much. That's probably going to be a problem (but so what, I'm not counting on a good bottom end)
I hooked up a battery, got two beeps from the beeper, and the gauge light up. So, beeper works, and the MPEM is gold, ponyboy.
Fun fact, the gas gauge works. :)
VTS might be able to be salvaged, the motor doesn't turn but the unit clicks when pushing the trim button both up and down.. so there's something there. Motor didn't look too terrible, but I've got a few extras that do work. The VTS boot is ripped, meh.
Engine will not turn over, not sure if it's due to the battery being half dead, or the starter going ca ca poo poo. It's been replaced by an SBT at some point.
I pulled the pump, wear ring isn't terrible, impeller isn't terrible, pump was full of oil.. good grief that stuff stinks for days.
The ski would not do anything initially, because both the fuses in the rear box were blown.. it had gotten water in there.

I didn't press too hard to try and turn the engine over, it's all coming apart anyways. No need in potentially tearing up something that is still good.

Next up is to take this ski home, instead of the shop. This one is going to take some time, and it's easier to sneak off to the garage for an hour or two here and there, than it is to leave to work on it.

Dug all up in this loose goose Saturday for a few hours, and got the engine out.
1452973785634.jpg

Obligatory "engine hanging from hoist in front of ski" money shot.
FB_IMG_1452975433647.jpg

This is a filthy animal
FB_IMG_1452975628723.jpg

What the what?
FB_IMG_1452975502266.jpg

Oh, that..
[video]https://youtu.be/KGPORPH8DBg[/video]

So, I took it home, began to tear it down, start beadblasting some engine stuff yesterday. It's got a long ways to go
20160117_172825.jpg
20160117_180429.jpg

I'm going to continue to pull the engine apart, blasting as I go. I've got a few bins full of the parts that have been taken off, but need to finish stripping everything out of the hull and take the power wash to it.

Obviously, the engine is in need of all new internals, the carbs are super gross, there was actually a snake skin in the airbox. But, progress....

Take pictures of the crankshaft gear and counter balance gear when you split the cases

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back