94 seadoo xp hard to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My xp is really hard to start once its started it goes great but i end up killing the battery in the water most of the time trying to get it going .

You asked, compression is the easiest and cheapest thing to check to rule it out.
Hard starting can be caused by..
Low compression
Rotary valve clearance
Fuel issues
Electrical issues

We have to start somewhere.

I would also suspect something is wrong with your GSX since it should be faster than the 1994 XP. Top speed on the GSX should be 56 mph and the XP is only 50.

Last edited:
Rotary valve Clearance has nothing to do with the Rotary Timing. The valve is a partial disk made of stainless steel. If the two surfaces against which it is turning are worn, then it'll have too much clearance. In other words, it'll suck air from the neighboring port and reduce the vacuum necessary to properly pull fuel form your carb. Once it starts, the engine's vacuum pulls the valve against the engine in turn sealing the valve, but once you kill it, it relaxes and becomes hard to start again. You have to check it by assembling it with a piece of solder between the valve and valve cover. Measure the crushed solder and compare it to the spec in the manual.

ya ive replaced a rotary valve and timed it on my gsx rfi . I bet it is the rv clearence on the xp ill just order a new rv cover . As for the xp vs the gsx the xp is the 657x and the gsx is having issues bogging lol

Make sure you use rosin core, NOT acid core solder. Also +1 on checking compression. I have a '94 XP, just had to re-ring and hone. I don't think it seated the rings properly after this past winter's top end rebuild and never made really good compression. It had the same effect as what you're dealing with. Though rotary clearance would be the other thing I would check too but compression takes about five minutes.

ok ill grab a compression tester and check that out first. Today i poured a cap full of premix in each carb and it fired right up first shot ...

It’s got the choke still . Well I removed my carbs cause I got a new carb kit coming in a few days . I ordered internal screw set cause the screws over the jets are stripped badly gonna have to drill them out. I think the last guy who rebuilt the carbs used a cheap eBay kit and didn’t clean the jets out due to the stripped screws. Also the rv cover wasn’t tightened down to spec and had no lock tight , probably backed out the threads from vibration. The tank vent hose that goes out the side of the seadoo was blocked as well. I got my gsx rfi running good so gonna take that out tomorrow while I wait for the carb kit

k i have new fuel filter and gasket , new selector valve, new top end gaskets , and rebuilt carbs . ITS STILL VERY HARD TO START ... runs great once started though . I guess i need a new rv cover i cant think of anything else that could cause the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back