94 GTS first start after 8 years sitting, questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogggis

My co-worker is selling his 94 Seadoo GTS?(I think), 3 seater. It hasn't been used since 2002 because he was injured and no longer rides (He's 60 now). He is the original owner and it has always been covered and garaged. I am considering buying it but I would like to know what things I can expect to repair and replace. Cosmetically it looks great and he's willing to sell it to me with the trailer for $1000.

Next week we're going to clean out the gas tank, fuel lines, carburetor, change oil, and new battery to see if we can get it to turn over and see how it runs. What other things should we do before starting it up? Will this be a money pit or is there some life left in it? What other signs should I look for when working on it? Thanks!

A lot of what might be wrong all depends on in what condition the machine was in prior to sitting for so long. If it was winterized and the engine was sufficiently fogged, then you will be in much better shape than if he just got done riding, machine was wet, not lubed/fogged and then it sat.

See if he can remember what maintenance he did on the machine just prior to it sitting.

You are going to have to replace the fuel lines, not just clean them (however you meant to do that). I am guessing they are the gray tempo fuel lines, which corrode on the inside and clog the fuel system up. If they are gray, you must replace them all except the vent lines. Also, clean the entire fuel circuit including the fuel selector switch.

I would also spray lube in the cylinders just to make sure they are protected prior to you trying to turn it over. Remove the plugs and spray bombardier lube in each cylinder, for around 10 seconds each cylinder. You can try turning it over by hand instead of with the starter if you want at this point just to see if it may be seized from rust inside the engine.

Inspect the oil lines, especially the two 1/8" lines running from the oil pump to the carbs. Obviously take note of any oil/gas lying in the hull. If there is some down here, you better look for a leak. If you are concerned at all with the oil injection system, you can premix the fuel you put in your gas tank.

Other than what you already stated, this is about all you should have to do before trying to get it to fire up. Somebody else will chime in if I am forgetting something. When/If you get it running, you may have other issues to deal with. Post your results and we'll see if we can help you there.

Good Luck!

Excellent, thanks for the help, I'll post again once we get it running. Should I be worried about any the seals or gaskets being dried out or gone bad and needing replacement as well?

Well, once you get it turning over, you can do a compression test on it. Test each cylinder. Generally, the 2-stroke seadoos come with a 150 psi compression from the factory, although some models have varied.

Assuming 150 factory compression, if your compressions are lower than ~125 psi, odds are you will need to rebuild the top end. Also, if your compression vary between the two cylinders by more than ~10psi, you will need to rebuild (ex: 140 cy1, 130 cy2).

As far as the other gaskets, you will have to wait and see once it is running. At least I would. Again, you are only trying to decide to buy the ski at this point still. I would not throw all kinds of money at it "just to see".

I believe we covered all that would harm the motor in your attempt to start it. Fire it up (or try) and then decide if you want to buy and preceed further.

Also, I would add...

Take it easy on the starter. Don't crank it for more than 10 seconds at a time and then it a 20-30 second break before cranking it again.

You can use starter fluid to help, but keep in mind...it does not have any lubricating properties, plus it willl help burn off the lube you sprayed in the cylinders. You probably will want to use the lube in the cylinders again after so many attempts to start (not a full 10 second spray but maybe 2-3 seconds).

Alternative to starter fluid...dump some gas/oil mix in the cylinders to help if needed.

Fresh plugs!! Just in case you overlooked this.

Since you took apart the fuel system (carbs, fuel lines, etc.) its possible you made a mistake. If you fire with starter fluid and/or oil mix in cylinders but won't stay running, I would verify that you are getting gas to the carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back