587cc 1993 GTX Crankshaft Oil Seal Lip Cavities

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

It's time to install the crankshaft in the bottom case and seal things up, however, before doing so I read in my Clymer's Manual to "Fill both of the outer crankshaft oil seal lip cavities with . . .."

I drove down to Auto Zone to purchase the synthetic grease, however, I am no scratching my $@!!$ (head) trying to figure out what the heck is a "seal lip cavity?"

I watched a video on another forum, however, the moderator's instructions were not clear.

Moreover, my SD shop manual does not make it clear either, simply stating to "apply lithium grease on the lip."

Now I have a lip and a lip cavity, leaving me confused as hell.

I finally figured out that the "oil seals" slip off (black, circular plastic/rubber facing the bearings) and noticed that the side facing the bearing is concave.

I am presuming Clymer's infers that the "cavity" is the concave side of the seal, thus I am to fill the cavity with synthetic grease.

I apologize for being so literal, however, I want to do this project right.

Also, the shop that sold me the crankshaft (I wonder why the hell they didn't fill the darn cavity) so to make the project simpler, also sold me ThreeBond Silicone LIquid Gasket (1211) to mate the mating surfaces on the crank.

Clymer's instructs to use Loctite Primer N and Loctite Gasket Eliminator 515.

Can I rely on the 1211 do the job satisfactorily? Competitive Crankshaft related that 1211 is mo better.

I want to get this engine installed this weekend so I can get it in the River on the 5th ,when everyone leaves.

Thanks

Whenever I fit in a new crack... I put a little grease on the crank, where a seal will be, and on the lip of the seal. I will also use a pipette, or syringe to make sure there is 2-stroke oil in the bearings.

Then, make sure the case mating surfaces are clean, and put it together with your favorite sealant. (I use 3-bond, yamabond, or silk thread and contact cement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back