Oil Seal Orientation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggo

I recently rebuilt the jet pump and found a discrepancy between the shop manual (2004 GTI LE RFI) and YouTube videos and even a couple of posts in this forum. The manual clearly states the spring side of the oil seal should face out towards the impeller. It also shows a picture of the spring side of the oil seal facing up on the tool. It also says to grease between the seal lips after it is installed. This could only be done if the spring side of the seal is facing out. I'm no expert but from what I understand the "spring side" of the oil seal should face the pressure side of the application. In the pump, the pressure is coming from the outside (impeller side) to keep water out. The oil inside the shaft area is not exerting any pressure so the oil seal is positioned to keep water out. I also asked OSD Marine (where I bought the rebuild parts) if this is true. Their Technician agreed the Oil Seal Spring side should face out towards the impeller not towards the shaft. This is the pressure side to keep water out not oil in. Why do all of the YouTubers and others install it against the shop manuals directions? I checked the 2003 thru 2005 shop manual for my model and it is done the same. Have people been installing them backwards thus allowing water to enter their pump? Page 627 in manual.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back