587 engine cross breeding - 88/89 in a 94

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddMartinell

I had to utilize an earlier model engine in my 94 GTS. The switch over was a little tricky since I'd never worked on watercraft before. I had to use some from the new and some from the old to make everything work peacefully. Somewhere along the process, I lost the rubber bumper plugs from the drive shaft and though it ran and performed well at first, the shaft was eventually able to work it's way forward and backward until the shaft began to strip the splines out of the PTO flywheel. The pump assemble is from the 94 GTS while the PTO and engine came from a earlier model (either 88 or 89). My question is whether or not the specs for the PTO flywheel and/or the drive shaft from the 2 different years (possibly 6 years in difference) are entirely compatible. I intend on ordering a new PTO but I want to confirm whether I should order one for the 94 which may not be perfect for the 88/89 engine, or if I should stick with the earlier PTO which may not be perfect for the newer drive shaft. Thanks.

any pto will work, from a 580,650,720 motor, but you'll need the gts driveshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back