4tec 215 oil filter retaining nut loctite needed?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rotaxrule1

Hello folks,

I just did my second oil change on my 2010 challenger 210SE (I have had it for 2 seasons now). This time, I decided to change the inner O ring on the oil filter cap and have been hesitant previously due to the retaining nut on the bottom of the screw being so hard to remove in order for me to get the screw off the cap and replace the O ring. I finally removed the retaining nut this time and noticed it had Loctite on it (sure did its job). I can't think of a good reason for Loctite to be on this screw, though the schematic seems to call for it. Anyone follow this procedure with the Loctite on this screw? I didn't, what would happen if I don't re-apply the Loctite?

The nut has Loctite on it so it won't spin and stay down when you loosen the bolt , the nut could fall off when you are removing the bolt or it could tighten too soon when replacing the cap/filter assembly. Remove all oil residue , add Red Loctite and put the nut back with around 5 ft/lbs of torque , the nut is there so you don't screw the cap down too tight into the housing , in fact if you've noticed before the cap is not really all the way in , just the second O ring is past the housing.

Hi there! The purpose of the Loctite on the screw is to prevent it from coming loose due to vibration or other forces. If you do not re-apply the Loctite, there is a possibility that the screw could come loose and cause an oil leak. It is generally recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and re-apply the Loctite when replacing the screw.

There are different types of Loctite available, each with its own specific purpose and properties. For the oil filter cap screw on your 2010 Challenger 210SE, you should use a medium-strength threadlocker such as Loctite 243. This type of threadlocker is designed for applications where the screw needs to be secured but can still be removed with standard tools if necessary. Loctite

I assume that nut would have to be a set distance from the cap in order the properly seat the o-rings without over-tightening the cap?
Is there a setup dimension for that nut?
Thank you

Back