4-Tec timing chain problem, need your feedback please...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

titdents

Hi, I really need your advice please.
I am in the process of rebuilding my motor after a supercharger break.
I had to open the engine base to clean out everything.
I removed the head, and i did not make any change to the components ( cam or valve..etc )
Now i am putting everything back in place.

1. I locked down the crankcase to TDC with locking tool.
2. I locked down the cam with the locking tool.
3. Now cam and crank are at the TDC
4. I installed the timing gear on the cam, with the 1503 mark visible.
5. I left the timing bold not tight to be able to move the timing gear a bit from left to right
6. I put back the chain on it and put back the chain tensionner.
7. Now the mark a still visible but not 100% parallel with the case.

By the way here is the picture of the timing before i dissamble the engine, it's look like someone already adjusted the timing before and marked the gear cover with a pen, should i put it back to this place or ... ???

I know i have to put the 1503 mark parallel with the case but is it normal that the line are not 100% straight ?
Also should i try to put them straight before or after the chain tensionner is in place ?
I know it is going to bind the chain that is why i left the chain gear not titghen with the screw..

i hope someone could tell me if i am ok.

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
also someone told that in an other post.. is is true ?

''no offense to anyone ...but you lock the crank tdc...lock the cam ..install the tensioner.......tighten the 3 bolts on the cam gear...

if the cam is locked the crank is locked...tensiner is in ...and you are not slam up against the end og the oval hole on the cam gear... it is right..reguardless of any marks on the gear.. ''

also someone told that in an other post.. is is true ?

''no offense to anyone ...but you lock the crank tdc...lock the cam ..install the tensioner.......tighten the 3 bolts on the cam gear...

if the cam is locked the crank is locked...tensiner is in ...and you are not slam up against the end og the oval hole on the cam gear... it is right..reguardless of any marks on the gear.. ''

Yes this is correct. Lock the crank, lock the cam, install the chain and cam gear leaving the bolts loose then install the tensioner and get the 1503 marks as level as possible. When re assembling mine I found the marks did not line up exactly as they were removed as long as the crank and cam are locked down correctly and the cam gear bolts are not jammed up against the stops then you are good to go.

Yes this is correct. Lock the crank, lock the cam, install the chain and cam gear leaving the bolts loose then install the tensioner and get the 1503 marks as level as possible. When re assembling mine I found the marks did not line up exactly as they were removed as long as the crank and cam are locked down correctly and the cam gear bolts are not jammed up against the stops then you are good to go.

I agree!

Hi, I really need your advice please.
I am in the process of rebuilding my motor after a supercharger break.
I had to open the engine base to clean out everything.
I removed the head, and i did not make any change to the components ( cam or valve..etc )
Now i am putting everything back in place.

1. I locked down the crankcase to TDC with locking tool.
2. I locked down the cam with the locking tool.
3. Now cam and crank are at the TDC
4. I installed the timing gear on the cam, with the 1503 mark visible.
5. I left the timing bold not tight to be able to move the timing gear a bit from left to right
6. I put back the chain on it and put back the chain tensionner.
7. Now the mark a still visible but not 100% parallel with the case.

By the way here is the picture of the timing before i dissamble the engine, it's look like someone already adjusted the timing before and marked the gear cover with a pen, should i put it back to this place or ... ???

I know i have to put the 1503 mark parallel with the case but is it normal that the line are not 100% straight ?
Also should i try to put them straight before or after the chain tensionner is in place ?
I know it is going to bind the chain that is why i left the chain gear not titghen with the screw..

i hope someone could tell me if i am ok.

View attachment 27339

I hope you installed a brand new timing chain. The old one might have been weakened from debris getting caught between the chain and a gear. If weakened, the used chain will break eventually.
And you will end up with damage like this:

Chester

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 18.06.49.jpg
    2014-07-16 18.06.49.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back