$30,000 oil change. Need input.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigJake

Well I took my new Ram Quad Cab that I bought a couple months ago into the dealer today for an oil change and it's looking like that may have cost me $30,000.

To kill time while waiting for my truck, I asked my salesman what they had in SUV's for me to look at because down the road (a year or 2) I was planning to replace my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe. Long story short, I drove home from the dealership in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 for my wife to check out. It has a 2.4 L engine and 9-speed automatic and loaded with bells and whistles including things the wife wanted in her next vehicle (heated seats/steering wheel, voice command Uconnect/touch screen, backup camera, remote start, etc, etc)

This was a total spur of the moment thing. I had no intention whatsoever to buy a new SUV when I left home today. I've never had a Jeep and haven't done any research at all on them or other possible replacements for my wife's Santa Fe, so would welcome your input. Note this is NOT intended as a tow vehicle, so don't base your recommendations on it's towing capabilities.

I'm taking the Jeep back on Saturday to either return or sign the papers, so let me hear your thoughts.

One thing I've learned over the years is to NEVER buy a vehicle the first model year it has been redesigned/upgraded or totally new. That's said, I don't know much about the Cherokee since it's so new but Chrysler's quality has been steadily improving over the last few years, I don't think you made a bad choice if you like it.

Unfortunately... the new Cherokee is VERY new, and I don't know much about it. I'll dig around today to see what I can find out. I have a buddy who is a mechanic over at Rotolo's Dodge. I'll ask him if there are any issues.

My wifes camry has voice command, I thought it was going to be the coolest thing I've ever seen, in the 5.5 years we've owned it we have NEVER used it.

I can't believe the dealer let you take a 2014 vehicle for 3 days. How many miles will you put on it?

side note: 9 speed?? I never knew that existed.

i brought it home late last night and will return it al like noon tomorrow so really only like 36 hours. maybe 75 miles. 9 speed was a new one on me too.

its really not that bad a vehicle jake, the 2.4 eng has been around, the trans, is actually a 5 speed with 4 overdrives, and you in pa., it will probably never see the 9th speed, you cant manually shift into the higher speeds, vehicle has to meet specific parameters to do so, like real flat road, hardly any throttle position, and this has to go on for like 5-10 minutes or so to do so, chrysler has sold like 1800 since mid november and we (at our dealer) no real issues, minor crap only, ive drove a few, not bad, have em throw in the accesory package for that rear bar in the back on the left side (think its a cooler, shopping bag crap and stuff like that) .....

to be totally blunt, run now jake, return that POS before you become the guinea pig for the new model.
I was never impressed with HEEP, there are a multitude of well documented issues in most of their line up and in regards to Dodge, another reason why I would never own one...

do your homework, the info is out there...

I have been thoroughly impressed with our FJ cruiser, but being 2014 is the last year and the suicide rear doors that may not be an option for you, but the 4 runner is another excellent rig with reliability on it`s side...

every manufacturer has it`s issues, heck we just returned back to nissan with a new Frontier, is it a gamble sure it is, but for the $$$ it is a good truck... the FJ I have to say I`m impressed overall... I plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off or trade up to the runner...

good luck in your choice.

its really not that bad a vehicle jake, the 2.4 eng has been around, the trans, is actually a 5 speed with 4 overdrives, and you in pa., it will probably never see the 9th speed.................... no real issues, minor crap only, ive drove a few, not bad,......

Yep... that's basically what my buddy said.

Thanks guys. The wife just drove it and likes it. Now if I can get them to give me some consession on the NAV package. I'm currently $1700 under sticker, $700 under invoice. Plus 4 free oil changes. The clips for the accessory bar and cargo net are already included.

I'm a jeep person, been on jeep forums for damn near ever and owned a real Cherokee(XJ) back in the day. The new Cherokee's are garbage. I don't just say that because it's about as far away from it's roots as possible, but it really is. The trans in those things are garbage. They have a history already of blowing up, some within 20 miles off the dealer lot. Some grenade right off the truck. I wouldn't touch those things if they were free.

Thanks for the warning Suke. DId a search and am seeing hundreds of posts regarding tranny problems. Also this article:http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/27/2014-jeep-cherokee-transmission-production-problem/

Yessir! I know jeeps pretty much inside and out. I follow them religiously even though I currently don't own one. I still participate in Jeep forums too, so I have my finger on the pulse of things Jeep. Unfortunately there isn't anything in the jeep line I'd consider a real jeep, which keeps me from owning one. Eventually I'll pick up an old CJ and restore it.

well, i think everyone is trying to compare this cherokee to the grand cherokee, which in fact this cherokee is to take the place of the liberty platform, is a trans going to break ??? im sure, in every us carline also, which in fact is why chrysler ... held up the release of these vehicle for software issues, will software hurt a trans internal ??? yes, it will, if software applies a clutch solenoid or a valve in the body ... guess what ... it stays applied, just realize, that in todays world, that there are buybacks of all us auto manufacturers, and i know personally, that the service end of the whole chrysler corp has changed ... do you know you have to fully certified to change a mirror or a set of wiper blades ??? anything at all on that car or any other vehicle chrysler sells cannot be done from an uncertified tech ... period ...
and has been like that since fiat got involved ... you buy that when you buy a new chrysler, jeep, dodge or ram ...

im not here to defend chrysler, or sway anyones opinion, but ive been a chrysler tech since 1980 .. ive seen it all

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i think everyone is trying to compare this cherokee to the grand cherokee, which in fact this cherokee is to take the place of the liberty platform, is a trans going to break ??? im sure, in every us carline also, which in fact is why chrysler ... held up the release of these vehicle for software issues, will software hurt a trans internal ??? yes, it will, if software applies a clutch solenoid or a valve in the body ... guess what ... it stays applied, just realize, that in todays world, that there are buybacks of all us auto manufacturers, and i know personally, that the service end of the whole chrysler corp has changed ... do you know you have to fully certified to change a mirror or a set of wiper blades ??? anything at all on that car or any other vehicle chrysler sells cannot be done from an uncertified tech ... period ...
and has been like that since got involved ... you buy that when you buy a new chrysler, jeep, dodge or ram ...

im not here to defend chrysler, or sway anyones opinion, but ive been a chrysler tech since 1980 .. ive seen it all

Can't say I've ever heard anyone compare this "cherokee" to the grand cherokee. From an enthusiasts stand point they're pissed that they named it a "cherokee" and are comparing it to the XJ. Which is a slap in the face to name that abomination a "cherokee". I'm sure they're going to take care of the people who's vehicles break under the warranty period, but hearing folks that are in 200 miles after getting it back and then the shop having it for weeks at a time.......that's just not something I would buy in to if I knew it ahead of time. I don't have time for my vehicle to be down several weeks at a time.

This is a cherokee....and my old one at that:

This is an abomination and embarrassment to the cherokee name.
2014-jeep-cherokee-2-opt.jpg
:p

Hey, if you are going to be getting the Cherokee first congrats, they are nice vehicles!! Secondly, the tow capacity on the 2.4 is about 2000lbs, which covers PWC but not a lot more. It isn't a huge upgrade to go to the 3.5 V6 which can tow 4500lbs. I'm not sure what the cost is in the states but its only a 1300 charge to go with the v6 over the 4cyl.

Well my salesman said he called the local Rep who confirmed what we already knew, that there was a problem discoverd during production that halted the production line. But is guaranteeing that the software problem has been resolved. Not sure what to think at this point. It's possible it took them a couple tries to get the issue fuuly resolved which would account for the number of people with issues. Or some of those are going to fall within the normal range of issues with any new vehicle driven off the lot. Alot of the posts I was reading seemed to be from last fall, so the earlier ones off the production line. Does anyone know that there is still a large number of people having issues with more recent vehicles that presumably would have the latest software fix?

My dealer provides a lifetime warranty (as long as you fullfill the maintenance requirements) which gives me a little peace of mind. Price wise the standard features on the Limited edition are pretty much exactly what we want and price out at leastr a few thousand cheaper that any other vehicle I looked at on the internet in the past 24 hours. I was really surprised to see that a new Santa Fe with those options would be like $4,000 more.

As for it being nothing like the "True Cherokee", I've never had a Jeep so that has no impact on my decision, I'm just looking for a good SUV that has these features. Something for my wife's daily driving and to take on long trips. My truck will be my daily driver and tow vehicle.

Bloski, good point on the towing capacity, but I don't see that I'll ever use it to pull my boat. Actually it doenst even have a hitch and at this point they haven't even made a add-on hitch for it yet.

You have a big decision to make knowing what you know now. I will say that an comparable "SUV" will run you a few thousand more than the Jeep. If it were me and I could swing it, I'd pass on the jeep and get something more proven or give up a few useless options that you'll probably never use and bring down the price of the "competition". Just my $.02

You have a big decision to make knowing what you know now. I will say that an comparable "SUV" will run you a few thousand more than the Jeep. If it were me and I could swing it, I'd pass on the jeep and get something more proven or give up a few useless options that you'll probably never use and bring down the price of the "competition". Just my $.02
plus 1xxxxxx

I`ve had many many many different label vehicles, really not brand loyal, I did have Ford for many years and still think they have one of the best Van/truck lines going. never had any issues with any of their engines from the 240, to the 4.6 mod motor...

I hated working on those Gov K cars, they were pure crap.

anyway, there is so much to choose from, the new car smell to the functionality will always have you wanting whatever you sit behind the wheel of, its mesmerizing!, lol...

Hyundai, Kia has proven themselves to be a competitor these days. as mentioned before, all companies have recalls, TSB`s buy backs, and issue, issues, issues, new products are just brought to market to dam quick just like the new ski`s...
I highly doubt the new jeep will be any less troublesome. I agree with give it a year or to, the salemans job is to sell, not turn you away!

heck Nissan didnt admit there was any issues with the in radiator trans cooler until the class action suit!

good luck! hope you get a good one Jake...

I`m tired of buying something new and a few weeks later get a recall notice in the mail, just takes the J out of Joy at that point.

This is a cherokee....and my old one at that:

:p

WHAT!!! THATS NOT A REAL JEEP. THATS CHRISLER'S BASTARDIZATON OF A CHEROKEE !! it doesn't even have a real frame !

Ok, that was just a jab, and not to be taken seriously. but Jeep guys never like change. We heard the same stuff when they dumped the CJ's... and then again when the TJ came out.

Lets face it... Less than 1% of the Cherokee's would be used as anything more than a daily driver. So why build it heavy? a heavy vehicle just means more fuel burnt.

Ok... I'm really not trying to be negative, but I hate to see opinions that are extreme when there isn't enough knowledge to know.

FYI.... I was one of the guys who developed the 8.8 swap for the TJ.

151.jpg

HEY JAKE..,

When you get back to the dealer... find out when my diesel is supposed to get there. We are 3 months past due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back