240 EFI M2 jet drive - limited power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewdandrea

Hey guys, I have a 2000 SeaDoo challenger 2000, with a mercury M2 Jet drive 240 EFI. I just bought it this year, from a dealer friend of mine who took it in on trade. Ran great, no issues, but I don’t believe it was winterized last year. I took it out last month, no issues, ran perfect. Parked it for a few weeks. Took it out again and ran about 6-7 miles in the intercoastal (saltwater) where i live. The engine started to have low power out of no where, and then shut down. Crank, crank crank, no start. Then starter went bad. Replaced starter and starts up just fine. For the first few times I heard a solid constant beep. Read up online that it could be a few different things. Checked oil level, no problem, changed plugs as they were fouled out, no problem. Now when I’m driving it, it will only run about 3-4K RPM’s and will only do about 10 mph. I am including a pic of the boat and engine. See if anybody can help me out!

Welcome,

A reduction in power, while running is never good. Also... the alarm is alarming. (sorry, no pun intended)

OK... I'm seeing a lot of crusty going on, so I would start with popping open a few of those electrical connectors, and make sure they are clean. The 2 boxes mounted on top of your engine are the revlimiter, and the CDI controller. A bad connection to either will cause problems.

Next... since it's a new boat to you... I would check the compression, and verify spark on all 6 plugs.

Since you have oil... I'm guessing the alarm was over temp. Did you look and verify that water was coming out of the pee hole?

Oh.... and for future ref... you have a gen 1 240EFI engine.

Ok, so when it shut off the first time I did not hear a beep, it just shut down. It only beeped when i started it up after replacing the starter. Water is coming out of the hole. I will check the connectors in the morning. I was looking at some forums and everyone says there are problems with the throttle guardian. I went inside to look and found it looks like somebody tried to do some shitty re-wiring with the guardian. Also i took a video of what exactly the boat is doing. Maybe it will help. Im posting it to my Facebook and posting the links here. Also I’m looking at the picture i posted of the engine, but i only see one box to the right at 1 o’clock. Above the right side of plugs. Is that what you are saying to check.

Boat problem
https://video-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/...=f43d52c49578ecb50d4b0db8945e0f48&oe=5B29EB2C

Guardian wiring
https://video-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/...=cac573f5dd5b05efb53154beec5458ae&oe=5B29D4BF

Last edited:
Take the throttle guardian out, and pitch it in the trash.

The first vid seems like it's running well... and all the sudden it shuts down. The guardian can do that.

Also... since you made mention that you only heard the beeps later... it's known that the beepers don't last. There's 2 in your boat, and the one mounted into the helm (round thing in your vid) probably needs replaced. The one in the wiring normally lives a longer life.

Last thing... I chased a shut down issue with my boat last summer. Turns out that the lanyard kill switch was going bad. You may want to check it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back