230 Challenger SE offshore performance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt S.

I am looking to purchase my first boat. other than a few weekends on other peoples boats & such I have little experience with on the water. I want to use the boat mainly in the Ocean & travel to and from Catalina Island.

I am mainly wondering if this boat handles chop/swell smoothly & how in general it handles the open water.

Thanks, Colt

Personally, I think your looking at the wrong boat. Off-shore, salt water, chop, swells.....Doesnt spell Seadoo sport boat to me.

You must remember, conditions can and will change on you at some point or another and the Challenger design is not considered exceptionally seaworthy in poor condition.

They are awesome lake and river boats and sure you can take it into calm bays and such but if your defining the type of boating you want to do you really should be looking for something designed for that. Just my humble opinion.

Craig

Try to find one that you can have a dealer take you out on. I agree with Craig for the most part. Sea Doo boats in general dont do so well in big waves, but I have been on a 23ft sppedster wake on lake Erie and it handled totally different than the smaller jet boats. It did fine in some big waves. The bigger boat might do ok for you.

Catalina is only 38 mi. away. Also its So Cal, I have heard of people taking a PWC, Row Boat, kayak, I think someone even swam it once or twice for some kind of stunt. So I would think a 510 Hp 23' jet boat would be fine. I'm looking into The 230 SE because of the Closed loop cooling system & "Deep V" style hull, plus the direct drive system.

I'm planning on fair weather trips for the day, Nothing Major. I just want to know if when the wind kicks up and the 1-2 ft. white caps start, its not going to become an unbearable kidney beater of a ride.

thanks, Colt

I'm no expert on this boat, but with most boats, you ride to the conditions. ie slower.

at 38 miles, I would be more concerned at whether or not it holds enough fuel. Do you goto the Catalina Wine Mixer???

at 38 miles, I would be more concerned at whether or not it holds enough fuel. Do you goto the Catalina Wine Mixer???

the 230 SE w/ 430Hp has a range of 105 miles ( @ 27 mph cruse speed according to Boattest.com). There is a fuel station right in the harbor on the island.

Yea, I have crashed the mixer, it is a good time for sure.

i haven't taken mine ther but have taken up and down the coast in san diego. It was easy to get over the swells. I am going to try catalina next year. If yu get one we should plan a trip. get some othe rseadoo owners and go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back