2019 GTX 155 vs 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to purchase a new GTX and looking for advice on whether to buy a 155 or 230. I hear the new superchargers are less of a hassle than in the past, Is the power on the 155 lethargic or acceptable I do not need a 60 mph plus machine. I am leaning towards the 155 for fuel mileage as well. We are on the Trent Severn waterway and have hundreds of miles of inland lakes as well as access to the big water of Georgian Bay so gas mileage is an issue. Any thoughts

If you’re not looking to go over 60 the gtx isn’t the ski for you..

Get the Fish Pro. It has a 155 with a 18.5 gallon fuel tank. It’s around the same price

I have the FishPro 155. It will go 52mph. Plenty fast enough for me. I weigh 265, Im 6'4' and its a very comfortable ski. I have sound and all, very happy

I was thinking the same as you. I bought the GTX 155. I went with the 155 for a theory of less maintenance cost. Wide open throttle a 230 and a 155 would probably consume the same amount for fuel. I believe wife ioen cruising I am at 6gal per hour.

I came off a GTR 215 and can honestly say I miss the supercharger. My 155 max speed is 54. It is a good ski

We were at the cottage show on the weekend and they offered a factory 4 year warranty if we bought the ski before the end of March. The dealer agreed to take my snowmobile in trade to save a little on the tax so we did the deal. I purchased the GTX 155 added in a Triton aluminum trailer, USB port, bumpers and the 16 quart cooler and tow tower. I also had them install a Garmin Ecomap plus 75 chartplotter fishfinder on the front hood. We live in an area of hundreds of islands, lakes , rivers and locks so keeping track of where you are is critical. This is a bit of an experiment for me and if all goes well and we use it a lot,we will get a second one next year so both my wife and I can travel together but separately. I just ordered an electric vertical lift installed on one of our docks to make it easier to just jump on and get away. Let the adventure begin. We pick up the ski in mid May.

Congrats! My first ski was a 155 pictured to the left, now sold. The practical reality is that most (even fast) cruising speeds can rarely exceed 40 mph on a large lake with wakes and waves. It is a very nice way to see the lake and if you are on Lake Muskoka, like I am, it will do just fine. There is a big difference in fuel consumption too between the more powerful ski. I have an RXT 300 and a 215 Wake Pro. I just go to the gas station more.

Thanks Peter, I figured as much but it is great to hear a confirmation from someone with actual experience.
Our history is that we came from decades of having large boats with hydraulic swim platforms which limited our toys to under 1,000 lbs, a few years ago we traded in the big boat for a cottage so our toy box has changed and we are a little older so bouncing off boat wakes at 50 mph is not what we are looking at. We are looking to use the ski to go gunk holing if you know the term.

Just don't go into very shallow gunkholes - the skis can suck up all kinds of crud if you're in water less than 3' deep (that would be one meter for you guys up in "oot-hoose" country).

;)

Shallow water in Lake Muskoka can result in the ski sucking up little rocks. All it takes is one rock to lodge itself in the right spot and you can get various problems including getting it stuck in the reverse gate. I have sucked up many rocks, a piece of wood, you name it. If the wear ring around the propeller gets scored, you tend to lose power and top speed as the seal around the propeller loses effectiveness. Kind of like cavitation. I replaced my wear ring after a while and it made the ski like new. It was relatively cheap. So don't sweat it too much. But it is good to avoid.

My only concern with speed is that the ski can keep up with our bowrider/ski boat which tops out at around 50 but normally cruises around 35. It seems that will not be a problem with the GTX 155. There are a number of excellent restaurants at the bottom end of Gloucester Pool about 10 miles from the cottage and I can see us taking the ski instead of the boat on nice days. When the kids are up we would likely travel together. Gloucester pool is between locks 45 and 44 on the Trent Severn waterway one of the more beautiful lakes to explore in the Muskoka region.

My only concern with speed is that the ski can keep up with our bowrider/ski boat which tops out at around 50 but normally cruises around 35. It seems that will not be a problem with the GTX 155. There are a number of excellent restaurants at the bottom end of Gloucester Pool about 10 miles from the cottage and I can see us taking the ski instead of the boat on nice days. When the kids are up we would likely travel together. Gloucester pool is between locks 45 and 44 on the Trent Severn waterway one of the more beautiful lakes to explore in the Muskoka region.

Sounds cool. I find the hull is quite stable and if you ride modestly it will be nice. I believe its the ST3 hull.

No there is another city more remote than Perth, I just cant remember which one it is I saw it on a documentary I was watching
How long has your daughter been in Perth for??
Have you been to Perth
Its a nice place to live but expensive to travel anywhere because of the distance
I have always wanted visit the USA just to have a look around, I might get there one day

No there is another city more remote than Perth, I just cant remember which one it is I saw it on a documentary I was watching
How long has your daughter been in Perth for??
Have you been to Perth
Its a nice place to live but expensive to travel anywhere because of the distance
I have always wanted visit the USA just to have a look around, I might get there one day

My daughter has lived in Perth for 8 years, she married an Aussie rules football player. I have been a couple of times and toured from Sidney to Exmouth, the great ocean road and even Alice springs we expect to be there a little more often now that we are expecting a grandchild.

ps I am Canadian not American and Canada is full of Auzzies as our life styles are so similar

Yes I knew you were Canadian
Ya I think Aussies and Canadian are more similar than Aussies and Americans in life styles
I watch a lot of documentaries on the way people live around the world but I think Canada would be to cold for me hehe
We are just going into winter now it was min 5C a couple of days ago that's to cold for me haha
I have never seen snow so I must do that before I die

Yes I knew you were Canadian
Ya I think Aussies and Canadian are more similar than Aussies and Americans in life styles
I watch a lot of documentaries on the way people live around the world but I think Canada would be to cold for me hehe
We are just going into winter now it was min 5C a couple of days ago that's to cold for me haha
I have never seen snow so I must do that before I die

I find it interesting that the world thinks of Canada as cold. Canada is the second largest Country in the world next to Russia, yes bigger than the US. We have every climate known to man. In BC people live in house boats year round as it rarely goes below the freezing mark. Where I live in London we have about 90 days of cold weather a year, i.e. below freezing each year. Our seasons are opposite to yours as this is our spring. The average high right now is 13 degrees, last summer we had 35 days over 30 degrees. Our lattitude is the same as northern California, we live 400 miles south of London England. Yes there are cold parts of Canada in the winter which we visit but do not live there. Some years we get snow some not so much, I had to shovel my driveway of snow 4 times this year. We have more freshwater than anyplace in the world, in fact a full one quarter of the fresh water in the world is in Canada. We have a cottage off of Georgian Bay and the Great Lakes which are all connected together so you can go thousands of miles on freshwater. Our cottage where we keep our boats and now a Seadoo or two is quite a bit north of where we live and is colder, we rarely go there in the winter but with the winter behind us we will now open it up, here are two photo's of the cottage one in winter and one in the fall. These photo's are only 60 days apartIMG_6465.jpg
Winter 5.jpg

Very nice place
I think the reason why most people think of Canada as being cold is that every documentary that I have see on Canada show ice and snow or cold weather so do don't think of it being hot
July is our coldest month sometimes it can go down to -5c which is bloody cold
I worked over at Ayres Rock in the NT, building the Four Seasons Hotel, every morning it was -5c by 10am it was 36c or above and that was in winter.

As we head into summer parts of Canada are already experiencing 30 degree's C, or for our American friends 86 degrees Fahrenheit. With the cottage open the boats go in the water this week, let the summer begin.

Very nice place
I think the reason why most people think of Canada as being cold is that every documentary that I have see on Canada show ice and snow or cold weather so do don't think of it being hot
July is our coldest month sometimes it can go down to -5c which is bloody cold
I worked over at Ayres Rock in the NT, building the Four Seasons Hotel, every morning it was -5c by 10am it was 36c or above and that was in winter.

That is a huge temperature shift, hard to dress for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back