2012 RXt-X as OPil in Bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony97gt

I'm hoping some of the experts here can help a new ski owner. I just bought a 2012 RXT-Xas this week with 138hrs. I knew the supercharger was not rebuilt so that was factored into the price. I took the ski for a test ride prior to purchasing and was only able to do a short top end run due to location. It seemed to run fine at that time and the boost gauge was showing full boost. When I got it home, I put it on the hose to flush it. I knew to start the ski first, then add water and reverse the process for shutdown. I revved the ski to about 4k on the hose per the Sea-Doo YouTube video. While doing so, I got a check engine light that popped on but then went away. No codes were stored long enough for me to see them.

Yesterday I took the ski out with my wife and daughter to have some fun. After about 20 minutes of slow to medium riding, I was trying to get up on plane and got a quick check engine light as I was increasing throttle. I came back down to idle and it went away. I dropped off my wife and daughter and went for some sport mode riding to see what was going on. In sport mode the ski is strong and pulls hard. I saw 8000rpm on the dash during throttle up but it came back down as speed picked up. While riding around I buried the throttle to get up on plane and again got another check engine light and it went into limp mode. Came back down off plane and it went back to normal and allowed me to ride another 20mins before I called it a day.

I flushed the ski last night and used salt away and washed the whole ski. I did flush some low pressure water into the bilge area to try and clean it up a bit. This morning I went out to the ski in the garage and noticed some oil in the bilge. I checked the engine oil and it's right between the low/high mark. Any ideas where this oil could be coming from? It appears to be the same color/consistency as motor oil but I'm not sure if there's anywhere else it could be leaking. I'm not sure if this was old oil that was spilled at some point and by flushing the bilge I loosened it up, or if I have a leak internally. I bought a service manual today and I was intending to dig into the bilge and clean it all out and replace any corroded clamps or worn hoses. Thanks in advance.

DISCLAIMER- The guy I bought the ski from only had it about 6 months and decided to buy a boat. He bought the ski from someone who had race skis so I'm not sure if the ski has any mods or not. There is some caulking of some type on the leading edge and sides of the intake grate.

Last edited:
Photos for reference

Attachments

• IMG_2772 copy.jpg
    IMG_2772 copy.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3799 copy.jpg
    IMG_3799 copy.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3938 copy.jpg
    IMG_3938 copy.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
I can see from the photo that the bearing is not on the shaft all the way, they call the 1/2 groove showing the tell tale groove and if its not covered the boot can be damaged. Also if it's not leaking there then sometimes the clamp can be tightened using an Oetiker plier , I replaced mine with a narrow band gear clamp .

I can see from the photo that the bearing is not on the shaft all the way, they call the 1/2 groove showing the tell tale groove and if its not covered the boot can be damaged. Also if it's not leaking there then sometimes the clamp can be tightened using an Oetiker plier , I replaced mine with a narrow band gear clamp .
Thank you. I can't really tell myself from the pic so I ordered a new PTO bearing to just replace it. Also replacing the carbon seal while I'm in there.

Be sure to carefully check the boot that holds the bearing for cracks, if you have the driveshaft out then you might as well update the parts so you don't have to again later on. Be sure the boot and the bearing are clean and dry, I tighten the clamps as the last step, when it is all put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back