2012 Challenger 210, single engine non super (Low Power)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyg101

About 4 weeks ago, I decided to accidently flood out my engine in the driveway. Im sure your laughing!
Over about 10 hours, I got most of the water out through multiple flushings. I did not take it out to burn the water out but tried from the driveway. The next day, I took her out and noticed I could not go over 10mph. So, I changed the wear ring based on recommendations from here.

Yesterday, I took her out and got a P0524 error code, could not go over 3000rpm or 10mph. I brought her in and changed the oil. The oil was chaulk tan like I had some water in there. I cycled the oil again numerous times. Finally, I cleared the fault code for p0524.

Today, I took the boat out and hit 5000+rpm w a max speed of 20mph. However, the boat is still not picking up and takes minutes to get to 20mph. Also, that is the max speed with the throttle all the way down.

Did I not hook up the throttle cable correctly?
Could I have blown something or a gasket?
Is it time to bite the bullet and take it in?

FYI...I do not have a fault code.

Thanks for the Help? Sammy G

If you ran it in your driveway without protecting the carbon seal somehow (water in the hull or pull the snap ring and let it relax), then it is damaged and sucking air. The carbon seal is not designed to be run dry. It will destroy itself. By running in the driveway for longer than 1 minute or so, it will be VERY hot and begin to eat itself up.

So,, if there is nothing else wrong, at a minimum you are sucking air from inside the hull through the carbon seal and basically putting air into your impeller...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How are your oil levels? Have you made sure they are not overfilled by using the oil level check procedure described in the manual?

Are you removing the oil during the coin change via the shop manual method as well? It requires chopping the power at a higher rpm (4000 if memory serves) to get more of the oil into the crankcase to be sucked out through the dipstick tube.

When running in the driveway, I had water going to the exhaust.

I did pull the cover off the head to remove the water. Wonder if that could be leaking causing power issues.

Could it be the gas?

The oil level is in the middle of the 2 grooves. You think that is an issue?

Never heard of coin change. Is that in the manual?

Typo on the coin change. Haha. Oil change is what I meant. How long did you let it run in the driveway? If it was over 2 minutes, you probably have a damaged carbon seal that is causing cavitation. If this is the case, you'll be lucky to get on plane at all.

Panthers, Thanks for all the help so far.

So, ai just got done flushing the oil again because it was chaulky. Why in the F@#$ doesnt the engine have a plug on the bottom.

Anyway, do you think its possible to be in the driveway, with the engine running, and the hose connected and flood the engine? I.E water pressure higher than exhaust pressure. Im asking because the oil is still chaulky and I cant seem to get it all out.

When I run it in the driveway at 3000rpm, the engine tends to lower in rpm then go back, then lower to 2200, then back up...then it sounds like it will stall then I go to idle. Does this boat have an intake sensor that might be dirty? Maybe my 1/4 fuel isnt good.

How big of a job is the seal? Also, i dont think i ran the engine w/o hose cooling water.

I'd guess the reason there isn't a drain plug for the oil is because the only place it could go would be into the bilge. The only way to change the oil is through the dipstick tube with a vacuum or electric pump. I much prefer that to draining something into a pan in the the bilge and then trying to get it off the boat without dumping it.

There really isn't a good way to get the engine up to operating temperatures in the driveway. Even if you are cooling the exhaust with water via a hose, the carbon seal is still not getting cooled and will heat up and destroy itself. It is only cooled by the water the boat is sitting in.

It is quite possible to flood the engine with water and hydro lock it if you have the hose running water into the exhaust and the engine off. The exhaust pressure is what evacuates the water from the exhaust, and if that pressure is not there, he incoming water pressure takes over and it backs water into the engine.

So, if you have run the engine longer than about 2 minutes in the driveway, you are probably looking at replacing the carbon seal. Not a terribly complex repair, and well described in the shop manual. Requires removal of the jet pump and drive shaft.

If you have run water into the exhaust without the engine running, you need to start over with the water removal process, as if you had just submerged the engine in the lake. Never run water into the engine unless it's running. Steps: Engine on, water on, water off, engine off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back