2010 Challenger 210 SE (310) x2 155HP Slow to crank Starboard motor Please Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aboshi

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a really hard time pinpointing down why my starboard motor cranks slowly like the battery is dying, sometimes it will fire up instantly other times I will need to crank it for 10 seconds 2/3/4 times before it fires up. Once engine catches and fires up and runs great.
Port motor fires up instantly without issue.

I have searched and read over every thread and every google link there is about this issue and only one person seemed to fix their issue by cleaning their fuel injectors (or possibly replacing them, they didn't specify)

My issue is pretty aggravating and I have exhausted all my resources, I am hoping someone can chime in that's had this problem and resolved it.
I'll start by saying brand new battery so can rule this one out easily and when cranking it only drops to 11.4v (again port motor fires up instantly.
So as everyone will start by saying its he starter (it's not) I swapped starters between both motors and issue still is there, the slow cranking motor starter fires up the port engine instantly. I bought a new starter anyway and put it in the starboard motor and its still cranking slowly/hard start/long start. I then changed out the starter solenoid with a new one , same issue is there (slow cranking on the starboard motor) I swapped the leads on the solenoid to see if it was a power draw issue (same issue only this time the port motor wont even crank) Swapped the leads back port motor fires up instantly and starboard still slow to crank. Removed the fuel injectors and cleaned them with injector cleaner (triggered them with a battery) Spray pattern is good no clogs. After putting them back in, still same issue slow cranking/hard start
I swapped the fuel pump/fuel line from port to starboard to rule out fuel pressure issue and still slow to crank. swapped out the coils from the port to starboard and still same issue... slow crank/hard start/long start
Checked compression on both motors.
Starboard 145,145,145
Port 140,140,140

Compression looks spot on for these motors.
If I take the spark plugs out and crank the motor over it cranks fast like it should, once the spark plugs are back in though it's slow/hard/long start
Some times the engine will fire up instantly but 95% of the time it will not. What can I possibly be missing? I just ordered a rectifier but I highly doubt that will fix the issue. Is it possible one of the injectors is leaking causing this issue? on first start its almost like sounds like its a flooded carb that wants to start, cranks hard for a second then stops cranking. Then I have to hold the start button in for 5/10 seconds a few times until it starts.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text, this issue is driving me crazy

I would look at the condition of the grounds on the motor in question.

A bad ground will limit current flow, which could affect your starter.

Follow the battery negative to the 3 ground block on the front of the engine. (By Oil Fil) Check the condition. Even better, remove them all and clean them then coat them with dielectric grease.

Wow thanks for the fast reply!
So I fixed it fingers crossed!
Even though I bought 2 new solenoids one was defective… After checking all grounds and positive leads, I decided to check the amperage going to the starter. It was hit or miss on the starboard side.
So I swapped in the old port solenoid and BLAM engine fired right up!
I just ordered another 2 solenoid because they are dirt cheap and probably a good idea to have an extra on hand. I’m sure I’m going to need a new wear ring at this point as well because I have fired this engine up soooooo many times on land :(

I hope anyone that comes across this post in the future will help them solve their issue.

Starting it on land for a few seconds many times will not be a problem as long as you are at idle. Where you see problems are running it at high RPM's where the seal will take the impact of the friction without the cooling effect of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back