2008 challenger 180 oil type

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanesaw

hello i am new to the 4 tech supercharged 215hp motor. So the owners manual says to use 10w 40 4 stroke oil and never use synthetic. When i look this up on the internet for best oils to use amsoil and s few other top brands say to use there synthetic oil and it is safe for supercharged motors. Can anyone tell me what they are using or recommend fir oil please.
Thank you!

I would use the 5W40 synthetic blend from BRP , it's recommended for supercharged engines. By the way you should check to see if the supercharger has been rebuilt with the new steel washers, if you have the ceramic washers it's a time bomb with a 3,000$ price tag.

Use the XPS oil. It is specifically designed for the 4tec Rotax Sea-doo engine. It is worth the extra money to have the peace of mind of knowing that you are using the right ingredients for the job.

Thank you very much. If i have the correct info i believe that the 07 model was the last year of the ceramic washers and the 08 has the steel washers from factory? The boat has 75hrs on it so i figured i would rebuild the SC after next season.

The supercharger is 2 years or 100 hours, whichever comes first. The plastic cages in the bearings get brittle and if the fail then the result is the same as the washers failing, this is still the time line even on the new superchargers.

Made switch to Rotella T6 over the weekend on 230 Wake 510hp. May have been placebo effect, but engines seemed to surge a bit when pulling a tube 18-20mph. Since MA 2 oil, doubt slipping clutch. Maybe GPS ski mode being little glitchy today.

Any thoughts?

T6 is a fully synthetic oil which is not compatible with a supercharged Rotax engine. Your surging most likely is clutch slip.

To make life simple. Use the BRP semi-synthetic.

Thank you very much. If i have the correct info i believe that the 07 model was the last year of the ceramic washers and the 08 has the steel washers from factory? The boat has 75hrs on it so i figured i would rebuild the SC after next season.
This is not correct for the boats. Most 08s had ceramic washers. The boats are typically a year behind the pwcs for almost everything including using old motors.

Ceramic washers or not the boat is 13 years old and if the washers or the bearings go you will have a 3 or 4 thousand dollar headache and probably lose the entire season waiting to get it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back