2006 sportster rental - $5000 good deal?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shauno

I have a line on a 2006 Seadoo Sportster 150. It comes with a trailer and has *approx* 400hrs.

They want $5000 CDN for it....

THe downside, its a rental and it looks beat hard. All the seats are in need of TLC missing foam and all. The exterior hull is all marked up, scuffed etc. No holes, no hull repairs have been done. Its missing the bumper/trim that goes all the way around the boat so all the screws/rivets are visible and it has been "resealed" a couple times around the rear hydrofoil pieces. Its got stickers all over it for the rental place as well. Basically it looks like crap.

They tell me the oil has been changed every 50 hours or so, and it will need a tune up as the throttle cable has been intentionally stretched to prevent damage to the motor from renters. The pump/impeller are in good shape. They say its replaced regularly due to damage from sucking things up. The motor appeared clean, i didn't hear it run but they say its all good.

I know i can re-do the seats, and wax/polish the crap out of it, but its going to need a bit more then that.

So is $5000 a good deal for this boat considering its a beat rental? They actually have 2 of them to choose from.

Input?

Thanks!

Shaun

run away :(

You could buy a older restored boat well maintained for that much.

low retail nada 8k

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...m=11570&d=1600238928&y=2006&ml=S&gc=MR&gtc=MR

or

ask for water test make sure it runs at WOT and check compression.
If two things check out then its all cosmetic and you would have to calculate cost of items needing repair.
likely 1500-3000k in repairs may be more? is it worth it????

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt buy a rental honestly...Not unless it was dirt cheap like $2500 for that. I have been "THAT" renter before. I know how they treat stuff.

I wouldnt buy a rental honestly...Not unless it was dirt cheap like $2500 for that. I have been "THAT" renter before. I know how they treat stuff.

No... like $1000.

Think of this....

A rental shop is in biz to make money. SO... why would they spend money on new equipment???? the only reason is because that piece of equipment isn't making them money anymore.

Even if it runs now... 400 hr's on a 4-tech engine is a lot. And that's going to require a rebuild in the very near future. If you can do your own work... that's about $3500. If you can't do your own work... it will cost you $5k.

$5k for a rental boat is a joke.

Wow I didnt realize a 4 tech cost that much to rebuild.....I keep finding more and more reasons to keep my old reliable 2 stroke that is paid for and pimped the way i like it.

Wow I didn't realize a 4 tech cost that much to rebuild.....I keep finding more and more reasons to keep my old reliable 2 stroke that is paid for and pimped the way i like it.

My feelings exactly.

Right now... the only way I would buy a 4 stroke PWC is if I was buying it new, and with a warranty. I've seen too many stories of "Low" time skis (like 50 to 70 hr's) but are 5 or 6 years old, and as soon as someone really starts to beat on them... they will drop a valve, or the cam chain breaks. When that happens... you don't even have a rebuildable core.

Think about it... if you are rebuilding a seadoo 4-tech engine... you need...

1) Pistons, rings wrist pin and bearings.
2) engine bearings
3) gasket kit (a lot more than your 2-stroke)
4) all new valves (and a shim kit to set the buckets)
5) Most of the time you need new valve seats put in the head because the hard coating is warn away.
6) Cam chain
7) valve springs and keepers
8) machine work (valve seats, cutting the cyl to the next size, align bore the cam journals and possible main journals, resize con rods, etc)
9) possible cam replacements if they are warn
10) and a supercharger rebuild if you have one.

I'm sure I'm missing something... but it's not cheap to rebuild a 4-tech.

in my honest oppinion... if the ski is 6 years old... and the engine scatters... you would be better off parting out what's left, and buying a new ski. Right now people are crazy. The book price on an '04 or '05 will be around $4k... but I see people asking $8k because they just rebuild the engine. That's completely nutz since I can buy a new '08 leftover for a little more.

Sorry to go crazy like that... but I figure I would throw that our for people to think about.

*******EDIT*******

Here's one that isnt' too bad, but it's what I'm talking about.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=35686

Last edited by a moderator:
Even SBT (for a premium engine) is $2200 for a N/A, and $2700 for a supercharged. (without the supercharger)

So... I guess the cheapest scenario would be if you can do your own work... and buy a standard, non-supercharged engine... you are looking at $1800., but add $250 for shipping and install gaskets, and $80 for oil and fluids. (so $2130 to do it yourself)

Regardless it's expensive.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I had already decided against it but your posts re-assured me.

I too have been on the renting end and I know how they get bagged and its such an unknown.

Thanks for all your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back