2006 Seadoo GTX won't crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

champdog

My 2006 Seadoo GTX won't crank. I just get the clicking sound.

In the process of troubleshooting, I installed a brand new 560 CCA battery fully charged although my existing battery still load tested good. I also installed a new solenoid although I'm sure it was good also since I just replaced it a few months ago. I tried shorting across the solenoid terminals to no avail. Finally, I pulled the starter and tested it off the engine but still wired to the solenoid. When I pressed the start button, it spun the starter.

So, I bolted the starter back to the engine but still just get the clicking sound. I'm wondering if the starter is just getting weak and won't spin the engine. It's been running fine until now with just 100 hours on it. I hate to buy a new starter because it seems okay. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

My 2006 Seadoo GTX won't crank. I just get the clicking sound.

In the process of troubleshooting, I installed a brand new 560 CCA battery fully charged although my existing battery still load tested good. I also installed a new solenoid although I'm sure it was good also since I just replaced it a few months ago. I tried shorting across the solenoid terminals to no avail. Finally, I pulled the starter and tested it off the engine but still wired to the solenoid. When I pressed the start button, it spun the starter.

So, I bolted the starter back to the engine but still just get the clicking sound. I'm wondering if the starter is just getting weak and won't spin the engine. It's been running fine until now with just 100 hours on it. I hate to buy a new starter because it seems okay. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gary
One thought that just crossed my mind is to check the engine ground. I've been using it in salt water and unintentionally left a small amount of salt water in the bilge after the last use. Does anyone know where the engine ground is located?

One thought that just crossed my mind is to check the engine ground. I've been using it in salt water and unintentionally left a small amount of salt water in the bilge after the last use. Does anyone know where the engine ground is located?
It was easy to find and check the ground but still no luck.

Since you are dealing with a direct drive, check for obstacles in the drive line. Check for weeds in the intake and see if axel will turn over the engine. Good luck.

Do you have water in the cylinders?
load test the battery
run a wire directly from the positive terminal of the starter to the battery with the starter installed
could even be the bendix sticking,,,not extending

Last edited:
Since you are dealing with a direct drive, check for obstacles in the drive line. Check for weeds in the intake and see if axel will turn over the engine. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion @Ronny TN! I'll check in a week or so when I get back down. It was running fine when I flushed it and put it away after the last use but it did set up with salt water in the bilge for a few weeks. It's possible that the salt water may have caused something to seize up.

Do you have water in the cylinders?
load test the battery
run a wire directly from the positive terminal of the starter to the battery wih the starter installed
could even be the bendix sticking,,,
Thanks @POPPS! I'll give that a try but the starter was testing fine hooked up through the solenoid when it was out of the engine. But that'll rule out any electrical issues. The battery is brand new and load tested at over 500 CCA.

Thanks @POPPS! I'll give that a try but the starter was testing fine hooked up through the solenoid when it was out of the engine. But that'll rule out any electrical issues. The battery is brand new and load tested at over 500 CCA.
I haven't pulled the spark plugs but had considered doing so. It was running fine on the last use but did set up with salt water in the bilge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back