2006 Sea-Doo Challenger 180 - New To Boating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

4kidsandaboat

Recently purchased a this boat, some boating experience but completely new to jet boats. Water tested yesterday and had a good experience but with several questions.

1. The boat idles around 2000 rpms. Is this normal?
2. As I open the throttle half-wayish it easily gets to the 7000-8000 range. Never increased the throttle beyond half-way because we were topped on rpms. This is where I have no experience and it seems really high. Yikes.
3. Pitch or plane - At speed the boat is pitched. From the back you have a nice view of the sky. Driver has to almost stand to view ahead. Is there adjustment for this? Seems like it will get worse once we pull tubes and skiers.
4. Speedo - Not working at all. Don't really need a speed but could it an indication that the RPM gage is not accurate/working properly.
5. Steering wheel squeak - The most annoying of the day. Can this be oiled/greased. How easy is this?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and Sea-Doo wisdom.
4kaab

Sounds like the impeller/wear ring are gone or something is causing it not to pump enough water so the RPM's will run high. Do you have alot of water in the bilge? A worn carbon ring can cause higher RPM's from cavitation and allow water to enter the bilge and the added weight will cause the bow to pitch up.

My 2 cents

1. The boat idles around 2000 rpms. Is this normal?
No, your machine should idle around 16/1700 RPM.

Some things to check:

• Make sure your throttle lever is fully back. (Obvious)
  • Check the cable where it attaches to the Throttle Body. Wiggle it and see if the RPM's drop. If they do, you may have slack or friction in the cable.
  • Where the cable attaches, there will a cam wheel. Check to see if it is fully back.
If none of that works, you will need either software (Candoo) or more detailed troubleshooting.

2. As I open the throttle half-wayish it easily gets to the 7000-8000 range. Never increased the throttle beyond half-way because we were topped on rpms. This is where I have no experience and it seems really high. Yikes.
Sounds like what Digdog mentioned. Put a GPS app on your phone and tell us what you max out at. For your boat, you should be into the 50 Mph range at 8000 RPM. Sounds like you may have wear ring or impeller issues. Crawl under the boat on the trailer and have a look up the grate at the back and look up towards the back. You will see the impeller and wear ring. Snap a photo and share it here if you want opinions.

3. Pitch or plane - At speed the boat is pitched. From the back you have a nice view of the sky. Driver has to almost stand to view ahead. Is there adjustment for this? Seems like it will get worse once we pull tubes and skiers.

See number 2

4. Speedo - Not working at all. Don't really need a speed but could it an indication that the RPM gage is not accurate/working properly.
The speedo is a traditional wheel based sensor off the rear. The are notorious for being inaccurate anyway. You could look at the sensor on the back at the bottom to see if the wheel spins. Check wiring and fuses.

5. Steering wheel squeak - The most annoying of the day. Can this be oiled/greased. How easy is this?
Is the squeak in the steering wheel of in the dash. Both should be checked out because they may be a sign of excessive wear.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and Sea-Doo wisdom.
4kaab
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back