2006 RXT, Supercharger washers?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael211_2000

I bought this 2006 RXT model last month (love the black hull/red seat and trim color scheme!). Is there any way to tell if the supercharger washers have already been changed from original ceramic to upgraded steel without removing them from the supercharger? :confused:

It shows 70 hours on the meter, and I'm just wondering if I need to replace those washers or not. This is my 1st PWC, and I've read A LOT of bad stuff about those original equipment ceramic washers on here!

Thanks.

- Michael

Nope... ya got to pull it. And personally... I would do it soon. I've seen some of the older washers die as early as 25 hr's, and since the ski doesn't have it's "100 hr" maintenance done... I'm going to bet that it still has ceramic washers.

Don't mess around with this one... if they break... it's going to need a new engine.

Nope... ya got to pull it ... Don't mess around with this one... if they break... it's going to need a new engine.

Oh joy! Okie-dokie then... with some 70 hrs on the engine, think I should do a full supercharger rebuild or just replace these blasted washers? How much harder would it be to rekit the supercharger as opposed to just replacing these washers? I know the cost difference is significant... ie. less than $100 for washers alone as opposed to $350 or so for entire rebuild kit.

Thanks for your reply Dr. Honda!

- Michael

Honestly, you should just do it right the first time and get the rebuild. Sure it's an extra couple hundred, but the peace of mind is priceless. Also, it's not that it is a hard job, but why do it twice if you don't have to?

Either way, both packages are sold on pwcmuscle.com.

Riva Heavy-duty Supercharger Clutch Washers '06-07

Supercharger Shaft/Clutch Kit, '08 Spec Rebuild Kit

Let us know what you decide to do. Either way, Dr. Honda is right saying you should get it done asap...definitely don't want your next post resemble this one:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=30667&highlight=supercharger+washer

Okie-dokie then. I'll just go ahead and re-kit the entire supercharger while I have it out and apart. It's just a hard hit to the pocketbook right now, unfortunately. I'm suprised nobody has started a class-action lawsuite against the manufacturer for these bloody ceramic washers, I guess because they don't injure people when they fail (except in the pocketbook!) that it's not considered a significant enough defect as a result. Still it is a serious design flaw IMHO, that 2 little ceramic washers can destroy an entire engine. Not good, that's just not good!

Thanks for the advice guys. Glad to hear it's not too hard of a job to do, JoeZ. I'll take it slow and careful (yes I have the service manual for this machine, just a matter of finding the right pages that deal with the supercharger rebuilding).

- Michael

I got an e-mail the other evening from this RXT's previous/original owner. He wanted to let me know that his dealer had suggested he have the OEM supercharger washers changed to new metal washers and he just wanted me to know about it. Very thoughtful of the guy! So, yup I'll be changing the washers for sure now that there's no doubt they must be the original ceramic washers in there.

:nopity:

Fun, fun!

Regards!

- Michael

ATTENTION 2004-2007 SEA-DOO RXP, RXT, GTX and 215 WAKE OWNERS: Sea-Doo (BRP) has agreed to a proposed class action settlement covering the ceramic washer problem with 2004-2007 4-Tec Series supercharged watercraft. Owners who purchased these boats in CA can submit claims for reimbursement of costs associated with washer failures and for costs incurred to replace the ceramic washers. Also, BRP is extending warranty coverage on washer failure. Here is the link to the settlement website, which includes details and a claim form:

http://www.ceramicwashersettlement.com/

ATTENTION 2004-2007 SEA-DOO RXP, RXT, GTX and 215 WAKE OWNERS: Sea-Doo (BRP) has agreed to a proposed class action settlement covering the ceramic washer problem with 2004-2007 4-Tec Series supercharged watercraft. Owners who purchased these boats in CA can submit claims for reimbursement of costs associated with washer failures and for costs incurred to replace the ceramic washers. Also, BRP is extending warranty coverage on washer failure. Here is the link to the settlement website, which includes details and a claim form:

http://www.ceramicwashersettlement.com/

The settlement covers only 4-Tec Series Sea-Doos purchased in California. BRP chose not to include all affected boats nationwide. If you purchased one of the models in another state, I suggest you voice your complaint to Sea-Doo at the following address: http://www.sea-doo.com/about-us/contact-us.aspx
Or call them at: 715-848-4957
Encourage others to demand similar treatment for ALL of its loyal customers.

Doesn't matter for me and others who already replace the ceramic washers outselves and aren't in California anyways.

However, how does 1 verify that this settlement website is genuine and not a scam of some sort? Everything that's posted on the Internet is not necessarily true after all... I advise caution to anyone who decides to use that site's "claims form".

There's just too much "phishing" going on online these days for me to take anything at face value online anymore, there's even a new virus that has the FBI logo on it that infects you computer activates your webcam and claims you are busted by the FBI and must send money electronically immediately... I've gotten reports of people being infected with it and freaking out trying desperately to send money, and then it was on the evening news just a few days later!

SO, anybody that feels they have a claim in this issue and wants to file the forms I seriously suggest finding a way to verify it's real and not fake 1st... go ask a SeaDoo dealership about it or call a SeaDoo dealership 1st!

Regards.

ps. Do notice that this thread I started is almost 2 years old yet jwnm2012 pulled it up to post the same things about this settlement website not once but twice in like 48 hours... that raises red flags in my mind almost instantly right there! JWNM2012 is a Junior Member of this forum and has 0 feedback score and I bet every single post he's made has been in the past few days and only about this settlement website...might be genuine, but makes me extremely suspicious ya'll. My apologies if I am mistaken.

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back