2005 Sportster LE Oil Tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdanieltech

Oil Tank cracked any repair tips or do I have to buy a new tank?

Any place to buy a new tank or good used?

Thank you
Mike

I'd read up on plastic adhesives that are oil resistant or google pwc oil reservoirs and see if you can find a similar one which wouldnt be hard to hook your lines into. Last resort would be looking at switching to mixing your gas and oil.

I'd read up on plastic adhesives that are oil resistant or google pwc oil reservoirs and see if you can find a similar one which wouldnt be hard to hook your lines into. Last resort would be looking at switching to mixing your gas and oil.

Unfortunately, the way it's cracked is around the support areas of the screws.

I can definitely try to find a similar/different option...

No way I'd opt for that mixing, I'd sell before going to that level. The amount of work mixing every time, it wouldn't be enjoyable anymore.

Idk how handy you are but If its not leaking could you get straps of a pliable metal to go around it and drill holes in the straps to support it? Or the material a ratchet tie down is made with? Just thinking.

Idk how handy you are but If its not leaking could you get straps of a pliable metal to go around it and drill holes in the straps to support it? Or the material a ratchet tie down is made with? Just thinking.
It's cracked from the top where you bolt it to about 6-7" down the backside. There would be no way to repair around the top where it screwed in. I'd believe in time the constant force on the water will crack it more and more...

I just can't believe they don't have a universal tank for the boats. Where you can cap and uncap certain areas

Does it look like this ?
eb635c2156e1c73227a2bbe4e2cf476b.jpg

I just had the same type of problem with my Speedster tank. I bought a cheap plastic weld kit at Harbor Freight and used it to "weld" the cracks with the black plastic "welding rods" that come with the kit. It is fairly easy to remove the tank. Use a cheap Harbor Freight automotive siphon pump to remove the oil from the tank first. Clean the tank with brake or other aerosol cleaner. Rinse the tank out with water. Allow the tank to dry, or use a rag or air hose to dry the tank out inside. The tank cracks at the plastic bolt holes, if you tighten the nuts too tight, so when you re-install the tank, use caution to tighten just enough to be snug. The nuts are nylon "lock" nuts, so you don't have to tighten much.

I was gonna say I just repaired a plastic radiator with some stuff from autozone.

JBWELD PLASTIC
0fe154694e0dd1c3e1514490c34c2917.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back