2005 Seadoo GTI shutting off/no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesonC

I have a 2005 Seadoo GTI and went to take it out for the first time this year yesterday. I ran it on the water hose at the house the day before and started it 5 or 6 times and all was well. Launched the ski and it started fine. Took off down the lake and it shut off as if I had pulled the key. Tried to restart it and nothing happened. No click, nothing. Removed the key and reinstalled, got the beep and it restarted. Few minutes of riding went by and it shut off again. Removed key and reinstalled, got the beeps, but still no start. Tried several times and it would beep, but not restart. After floating for a few minutes, tried again and it started.

While getting back to the dock and having this happen a few more times, what I noticed is that when it won't start, you also don't get the reminder beeps that the key is still on the post. The two things are absolutely related. I get the initial beeps every time, but the reminder beeps aren't there when it's not going to start.

Any ideas where to begin on this?? Thanks for any help!

Have you tried cleaning the DESS key and post contacts with an eraser? They should have a metallic shine when clean.
When it is acting up, start wiggling wires and connectors with the key on the post. See if you get two beeps as you move things around.

Also, worth taking a look at the fuses in the MPEM

I'll give it a go with the eraser. Really confused me that it always recognizes when the key is put on the post, yet doesn't start/give the reminder beeps. So far, since I have had it back home, it has started every time making it hard to test on.

I would consider paying the extra $$ to get the DESS post from OSDparts.com - I learned the hard way that you can spend a LOT of time chasing other issues when you haven’t solved the first one because you used cheaper parts. I put the part number in the search field on OSDs website and it came up with the one that is a direct fit.

Had the exact same thing quite a few times and was always the DESS post.
No programming required to replace the post.
Replaced the post Monday after work and went and test rode it yesterday after work. So far, so good! Last time out, it wouldn't run 5 minutes without messing up. This time, I rode 14 miles in about 35 minutes and it never messed up.

We have a river run ski trip Saturday and we're gonna give it a go and hope that took care of everything! Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back