2005 RXT 215hp Compression Issue.....HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

garrettfox2005

OK Guys, I need a little help.....Not to bore you with all the details, I have a the following modifications to my RXT:

New Seadoo Engine
Upgraded 255hp Supercharger
42lb Bosch Fuel Injectors
R&D Aquavein Intake Grate
Resinator Romoved (Added Stainless "J" free flow exhaust pipe)
Rear Air Intake

Now to the problem......When I first took the Seadoo out in the water to start breaking it in (15min varying throttle up to 4500rpms and letting sit to cool down and repeating the process 2 more times), it ran fine. After I pulled it out of the water the checked the engine compartment I noticed a little oil leaking from a rubber gromet with 2 wires going into it ( I was told this was where the magneto goes). I informed my engine guy, he looked at it and said the engine was building compression and it was pushing a little oil out of that gromet. He cleaned around the gromet and sealed it with water sealer and said that more than likely the rings and seals hadn't seated good yet which could be the compression issue and the next time out to pull the dipstick out a little to let the engine breathe. I did that and took it out on the water Saturday and did the same riding, this time up to 5500rpms X3 (got a total of 5 1/2hrs on new engine now) and when I docked the Seadoo and checked the engine compartment, it had blowed oil out the dipstick tibe and oil was all over the plastic cover on top of the engine. Now I've read several different postings and see it could possibly be the TOPS valve stuck closed which could be causing the compression but, I'm not sure.

My question is.....Is there a way to test the TOPS valve? Could it be that the rings/seals still aren't seated good (got a total of 5 1/2hrs on new engine now)? If I was to add a oil catch can would that allow the engine to breathe and eliminate the issue?

As always, thanks for the advise!

I really wanted to send a small word to say thanks to you for the fantastic points you are writing on www.seadooforum.com. My time-consuming internet lookup has at the end been honored with extremely good ideas to exchange with my pals. I ‘d express that many of us site visitors actually are extremely endowed to exist in a notable community with so many lovely individuals with useful points. I feel really fortunate to have used your webpage and look forward to so many more fun moments reading here. Thanks a lot again for a lot of things.

that some signature you got there hah... :eek:

OK Guys, I need a little help.....Not to bore you with all the details, I have a the following modifications to my RXT:

New Seadoo Engine
Upgraded 255hp Supercharger
42lb Bosch Fuel Injectors
R&D Aquavein Intake Grate
Resinator Romoved (Added Stainless "J" free flow exhaust pipe)
Rear Air Intake

Now to the problem......When I first took the Seadoo out in the water to start breaking it in (15min varying throttle up to 4500rpms and letting sit to cool down and repeating the process 2 more times), it ran fine. After I pulled it out of the water the checked the engine compartment I noticed a little oil leaking from a rubber gromet with 2 wires going into it ( I was told this was where the magneto goes). I informed my engine guy, he looked at it and said the engine was building compression and it was pushing a little oil out of that gromet. He cleaned around the gromet and sealed it with water sealer and said that more than likely the rings and seals hadn't seated good yet which could be the compression issue and the next time out to pull the dipstick out a little to let the engine breathe. I did that and took it out on the water Saturday and did the same riding, this time up to 5500rpms X3 (got a total of 5 1/2hrs on new engine now) and when I docked the Seadoo and checked the engine compartment, it had blowed oil out the dipstick tibe and oil was all over the plastic cover on top of the engine. Now I've read several different postings and see it could possibly be the TOPS valve stuck closed which could be causing the compression but, I'm not sure.

My question is.....Is there a way to test the TOPS valve? Could it be that the rings/seals still aren't seated good (got a total of 5 1/2hrs on new engine now)? If I was to add a oil catch can would that allow the engine to breathe and eliminate the issue?

As always, thanks for the advise!

if you were to go and buy a fizzle 4 inch intake.. it says in the directions that its necessary to add a catch can to the installation... i would say 60% of the guys who make their own intake DO NOT use a catch can...

is your "engine guy" a certified seadoo mechanic or someone who has experience working on the supercharged 4-tec engine?? the reason i ask is because the 4-tec is a VERY.. VERY finicky motor and it takes someone with skill and knowledge to work on them. and ive never heard of using water seal on a grommet.. or running the motor witout a dipstick.. it doesnt sound like a proper seadoo way of finding/fixing a problem.

im not 100% sure where your talking about the oil coming from.. pic?

but do keep in mind oil leaking from the supercharger seal isnt an abnormal, and most guys opt to go with a viton oil seal to stop the oil from leaking... if that is where the oil is coming from.

Matt,

My engine guy is a certified seadoo mechanic and a Champion Seadoo Racer. I didn't run the motor without the dipstick, I just unsealed it if you will, to let it breathe. He seemed to think that it was building compression because the engine rings and seals hadn't seated good yet but, after 5-6hrs only it wouldn't the rings and seals be seated by now? Sorry for the ignorance, I just don't know and I'm trying not to work myself up about it because the Seadoo seemed to run great (up to 5500rpms that is, which is as high as I went).... I'll get a pic posted this evening when I get home.

Thanks,
Garrett

if you were to go and buy a fizzle 4 inch intake.. it says in the directions that its necessary to add a catch can to the installation... i would say 60% of the guys who make their own intake DO NOT use a catch can...

is your "engine guy" a certified seadoo mechanic or someone who has experience working on the supercharged 4-tec engine?? the reason i ask is because the 4-tec is a VERY.. VERY finicky motor and it takes someone with skill and knowledge to work on them. and ive never heard of using water seal on a grommet.. or running the motor witout a dipstick.. it doesnt sound like a proper seadoo way of finding/fixing a problem.

im not 100% sure where your talking about the oil coming from.. pic?

but do keep in mind oil leaking from the supercharger seal isnt an abnormal, and most guys opt to go with a viton oil seal to stop the oil from leaking... if that is where the oil is coming from.

Matt,

Sorry I didn't get the pics posted last night, I couldn't find my cable for my phone. Anyway, below is a few pics of the Rear Air Intake, Free Flow Exhaust and the location of where the oil was leaking (where we put the sealant). The last picture was took from the seadoo service manual and an arrow pointing to the location of where it is.

Attachments

• Rear Air Intake.JPG
    Rear Air Intake.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Free Flow Exhaust.JPG
    Free Flow Exhaust.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Sealant.JPG
    Sealant.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Sealant2.JPG
    Sealant2.JPG