2005 RXP 215 Riva Stage II

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReactioN

Hello all, this is my first post being that I just recently bought a 2005 RXP 215 that has the Riva Stage II kit minus the O.P.A.S removal. I come to you to ask a few questions about the reputation of these skills and their flaws that I may need to keep a watch over.

I bought it from a close friend who bought it new and had the kit installed by the dealer it was bought. He has a newer RXP-X and just didn't ride the 215 anymore so told me that if I would ride with him that I could have it for $4000 which is the price that the riva kit cost with installation. It has 100 hours on it and had the supercharger rebuilt at 100 and was winterized and put on the trailer. Its always been in a freshwater lake since we're here in Alabama.

I'm pretty familiar with skis and jet boats being that I've owned several. Even though with that in mind I'd still like to know of any issues I need to keep an eye on. I know of the ceramic washers and they've been replaced of course. What other precautionary measures do I need to look into? Thanks for any help and I'm glad to be part of the SeaDoo community finally! (Always had yammie jetboats.)

Alabama my azz. No one living down there talks like that. ;)

If your buddy paid 4K for a stage 2 kit..installed...he was raped.

The sc was rebuilt at 100hr...cool. How many does it have now? Have you gone for a test ride yet?

The dealer the work was done at is known for reaming you good with prices so no surprise there. I have the invoice for the parts and it was $2,9--. Can't remember the exact number. The sc was rebuilt at 100 and it has 101 hours. Was pulled out of the water for the rebuild, put back in and ran for 30 mintures. No surprises so it was then put back on the trailer and winterized (We don't fog here).

I've driven it many times and I'm not about to get on the river right now with the temps being in the 40s during the day. I don't have a wet suit and even if I did I doubt I'd be willing to get out in that mess. I do know that when we picked it up from being serviced the guy said it had hardly any wear at all. It was used by his grand kids with the trainer lanyard once he got his 255. Its actually faster than the 255 on top end but of course doesn't come out of the hole as fast.... Haha there might be 1-2 intelligent people in Bama. Glad you're able to understand me ;)

Bottom line, use the right oil and you can easily get 400 or more hours on the engine.

On the next SC rebuild order the update kit. It will come with the 09 and newer shaft and with all the other PROPER update parts you will be good for 200 hours.

It has a closed loop system so no salt water will ever get into the engine. But,,, you will need to flush the engine if you do ride in salt water to clean out the heat exchanger and exhaust.

I don't recall years off hand, but there was a model of the 4-tech engines that had valve issues. They would drop into the motor and it would pretty much destroy itself. There is updated valves to eliminate this issue.

...The sc was rebuilt at 100 and it has 101 hours. Was pulled out of the water for the rebuild, put back in and ran for 30 mintures. No surprises so it was then put back on the trailer and winterized (We don't fog here)...

You sure it was rebuilt...not just a washer swap?

You sure it was rebuilt...not just a washer swap?

As a general rule, unless paperwork can be provided, you need to assume the worse.

Everyone SAYS it was rebuilt, or it only needs a battery, or it only needs a starter. Once you buy it, it gets expensive if their statements can't be proven,,,

The washers were swapped when it had 23 hours on it. $311 Have the paperwork. At 50 supercharger was pulled and rebuilt $639, at 100 supercharger rebuilt with update kit and shaft. $982 Have paperwork on it as well.

I'm unaware with anything about the valves. I'll have to call the mechanic and see if he recalls the valves being changed. If not I'll have him get on that. Can't have my ski nuking itself.

Anyone familiar with the riva kits, are their sole purpose more top end or do they help with holeshot and hook up as well?

1) at 4K I think you did real good on the deal, you should be quite pleased. If you plan on holding onto the ski and putting some solid hours on it, then see #2 and #3, your already ahead a bit on the price, probably a good idea to roll some of the savings into putting the finishing touches on upgrades for known issues and you are much more likely to have a bullet proof ski for the long term.

2) the valves, definitely look into that, but its not cheap, (dont' quote me on prices) i've been told $300 to replace the important valves, $600 ish for all of them (+ labor I think)

3) aren't flywheel bolts also a consideration with an 06 ?

4) time to start asking around about an alternate mechanic/shop, there are a lot of people familiar with the SD 4tech you just need to find the right guy. I'd be terrified to take it to that dealer and ask to have the valves updated.

I recall a crank bolt issue but don't know the years. I will look at my notes later.

Nice job on having the paperwork. That actually increases the value as you know where you stand.

Paperwork always helps when selling instead of just "I had that done.....trust me!"

So I don't know why I had gotten it in my head that it was a 2005 but it's actually a 2004. I know everyone likes some pictures so heres just a quick one. Poor 86 Chevy and Mastercraft are tucked away for the winter as well. :(

IMG_20131214_183518_398_zps9c6af7e2.jpg

Hahaha yea it always does that in the winter. When it heats up it flatens and spreads out. I don't like the factory material on them anyway so I'll probably get some hydro-turf in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back