2005 GTI runs short distance, dies, hard/no restart

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jman31

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Seadoo GTI that I have been chasing this problem with for a couple years now. I sent the motor off for a rebuild, installed in the PWC and got it running with a water hose. I take it to the river, it fires up and runs a few hundred feet, bogs and then dies. It will still turn over so I don't think it's over-heating and seizing. I first thought it was a carb issue, but I put in a known running carb (from my other exact same year and model) and it has the same issue. I also replaced the fuel on/off/reserve valve and blew out the fuel lines with compressed air. I am thinking that it is either something with the motor or with the ignition system. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this, I would be grateful for any advice. I'm dying to get these back on the river!

Thanks!
Jeremy

wow,,,a faulty ignition coil could produce that scenario, fuel starvation,,, a partially seized engine,,,so do a compression test and rule that out…if you pull the choke,,does this help?,,ie…fuel starvation related,,,carb related,,,hhmm,,,seems,,,fuel starvation/carb related…

wow,,,a faulty ignition coil could produce that scenario, fuel starvation,,, a partially seized engine,,,so do a compression test and rule that out…if you pull the choke,,does this help?,,ie…fuel starvation related,,,carb related,,,hhmm,,,seems,,,fuel starvation/carb related…
Thanks for the reply. I will do a compression test and report back (I gotta get a compression tool, and maybe a bore scope). I also was convinced it was a carb issue, but I put a known working carb on and had the same issue. Just to be sure, I put the carb from the non-working craft on the working craft and it runs fine in that one. The choke doesn't seem to help once it stalls out. I may replace the coil just to rule that out as well.

I’d get a cheap inline spark tester. Could pop the seat off when it dies and check. An easy way to eliminate quite a few components as faulty. You can also try running with the gas tank cap off to see if the vent is clogged.

I’d get a cheap inline spark tester. Could pop the seat off when it dies and check. An easy way to eliminate quite a few components as faulty. You can also try running with the gas tank cap off to see if the vent is clogged.
Ordered one today along with a compression tester. Thanks for the ideas, and I will definitely check the vent!

Back