2004 Sportster 4 tec stuck riding plate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

situation52021

Hey everyone. I'm helping my friend with their 2004 Sea-Doo Sportster 4 tec and unfortunately, the 6 bolts are just spinning and won't come out, nor will putting pressure on the riding plate dislodge it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it off? Unfortunately this is a saltwater boat so I expected some setbacks, but this is kinda ridiculous, lol. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

What do you care? I'm discussing the situation that I'm dealing with. I guess I should just say what I'm working on and nothing else? Anyone else have a substantive answer?

Anyone else have any ideas on removing a stuck riding plate? Wondering if there are some sort of nuts that the plate bolts go into or are they threaded inserts?

You need to put downward pressure on each bolt as you remove it using a fork like a tie rod separator. I think those early years have an aluminum plate with threaded holes glassed into the hull which strips easily especially in salt water environment. You will end up destroying the ride plate but you will get the bolts out. Then you will have to drill through the hull and bolt from both sides. Make sure to use loctite flange sealant around all holes per the manual and it will seal fine.

You need to put downward pressure on each bolt as you remove it using a fork like a tie rod separator. I think those early years have an aluminum plate with threaded holes glassed into the hull which strips easily especially in salt water environment. You will end up destroying the ride plate but you will get the bolts out. Then you will have to drill through the hull and bolt from both sides. Make sure to use loctite flange sealant around all holes per the manual and it will seal fine.
Thanks Ski Doo. I appreciate it. Do you know if there are nuts on the other side where the bolts go in? They keep spinning even with downward pressure. Unfortunately pieces of the ride plate have already been broken off, so a new ride plate is unavoidable, and they're on backorder til February.

Not sure if that year had nuts on top or if it was just a threaded aluminum plate glassed in. What does it look like inside the hull?
You won't need threaded inserts, just a lock nut on top with a fender washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back