2004 Sea Doo Sportster LE 951 DI - unusual battery charging problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening,

My wife and I recently bought a Sea Doo Sportster LE 951 DI. When we purchased it I knew that it would need some TLC. We found that the battery was not charging; so, after reading many of the forums and the manual I determined that I needed a rectifier. The black and red wire on the old rectifier was not putting out anything. So, I purchased a new one. It outputs a little over 15 vdc ( I understand that the manual calls for no more than 15 vdc as a rectifier test, but I do not believe that the new one is faulty).

I have checked all of the fuses and they are all good. So, here is my dilemma: on my meter from the 30 AMP fuse in the electrical box to the motor I get 13.8 vdc at higher RPMS with a steady climb in the voltage as the RPMs go up. When I test across the battery posts I still get 12.6 vdc. When I test from the positive post to the motor (exhaust bolt) I get 13.8 vdc, but still 12.6 vdc at the battery.

So, I took a spare battery wire and replaced the negative, and tried that...same results. I changed the battery out with another car battery...Same. So, I took the battery out of my Sea Doo Spark and tried it...same result. I have tried using a small jumper wire to another location (ground)... Same result - 12.X across the posts but up to 13.8 vdc from positive post to engine (on my meter). All wires used have been tested for continuity, and test OK.

I am really perplexed by this one. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

If your new rectifier is AM..that could be your problem,,,lots of threaders out here have had issues with aftermarket elevtrical parts,

If what you're reporting is true then you should show 1.2 v from neg post to engine bolt. That would indicate a faulty groundwire. Try testing resistance from post to engine. what are you using for a test meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back