2004 GTX starter gear missing-Please Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hktrucking

I pulled the starter off of my 2004 GTX and the gear on the end of the starter was missing. Do I have to take it all apart to find the gear? Any suggestions would help. Could it possibly have fell into the oil pan? Thank you.

I pulled the starter off of my 2004 GTX and the gear on the end of the starter was missing. Do I have to take it all apart to find the gear? Any suggestions would help. Could it possibly have fell into the oil pan? Thank you.

Need to look for gear and retaining clip. First try mechanical fingers, depending on how close you can get your hand. You are going to have to do this blind. Then try a magnet on a flexible rod like the mechanical fingers. Last, use a 3/8 tubing connected to a shop vacuum connected to air oil separator(I made one out of a plastic 2.5 gal bucket with lid-need to reinforce middle).
If this was my RXP I could also go thur (pull off) the supercharger hole. There should be some more members chiming in.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "oil pan" per-say, the engine is solid cast metal in 2 halves that have the crankshaft sandwiched between them held together by large "stretch" bolts accessed thru aluminum plugs in the bottom half (only visible and accessible when the engine is upside down on a work table or stand).

You might can take the PTO assembly off the back of the engine (still in the hull) and find that bendix gear, it's most likely in the bottom of the PTO housing as that's where the starter gear is located on the crank. But if you don't find it in there, then you'd have to pull the engine case out of the hull and split it open (essentially dismanteling the engine... you'd need new gaskets including new head gasket, and all new stretch bolts along with a service manual for the torque settings and torque order and a good adjustable torque wrench). This is no fun at all... .sorry! :-(

ps. The stretch bolts all have funny looking rings on them under the bolt head down to the actual threads, they "stretch" to the correct length the 1st time the engine heats up to normal operating temps... you should not re-use them, as they'll "stretch" again when the engine again heats up and may break as the steel can only be stretched so much before it fractures so most people throw them away and go back with brand new virgin stretch bolts. To take the PTO assembly off you don't encounter any of these stretch bolts, but take the engine head off or case apart and you'll need new crankshaft stretch bolts as well as new head stretch bolts (as well as a new head gasket, never re-use that part either!).

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back