2004 gtx 4-tec supercharged high idling

evan1342

Water Crafts
98 sea-doo XP limited
03 sea-doo GTX limited supercharged
I’m having trouble with my gtx supercharged. I’m trying to start it after a long winter. I replaced the battery and Now when I start it the engine will start but idles a little rough. But when I hit the gas, I just tapped it, and the engine revs to full throttle and won’t idle down even when I remove my finger from the gas. I have to completely shut the jet ski down. The only think I put in for the winter was sta-nil in about 1/4 of gas. Anyone have this issue or know of what I might be able to check???

Last edited:

mkov608

Water Crafts
1995 XP (sold)
1999 GTX Limited (sold)
2X 2002 GTX 4-tec
Tell me about your off-season storage maintenance. What did you do, and what didn't you do?

Take off your seat and watch the throttle linkage, does the linkage on the throttle body snap back to idle when you release the throttle trigger or does it stick?

OBTW, when you store the ski for long periods, the gas tank should be full. With all the air space with a 1/4 tank of gas, moisture in the air (humidity) will condense and settle in the fuel. If you use regular gas with ethanol, water is even more of a problem. Sta-Bil will help, but the tank needs to be full.

Water Crafts
98 sea-doo XP limited
03 sea-doo GTX limited supercharged
Checked the linkage today. It’s springs back just fine. When I start the ski it will idle at 4000rpm for about 5 seconds and then jumps to 6000rpm and then to wide open throttle. I filled the gas tank with fresh gas. I’ll try and run some through tomorrow slowly.

Water Crafts
1995 XP (sold)
1999 GTX Limited (sold)
2X 2002 GTX 4-tec
That is weird for sure! Maybe Skidoo will chime in. I'd suspect the ECU since it controls idle speed, but Skidoo may have other ideas.

Water Crafts
1995 XP (sold)
1999 GTX Limited (sold)
2X 2002 GTX 4-tec
Evan, do you have a Can-Doo scanner? I just remembered you can pull up throttle position on a laptop if you have a Can-Doo. That way you can see if the throttle position sensor input to the ECU is changing value as you operate the throttle.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member