2004 gtx 4-tec supercharged high idling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

evan1342

I’m having trouble with my gtx supercharged. I’m trying to start it after a long winter. I replaced the battery and Now when I start it the engine will start but idles a little rough. But when I hit the gas, I just tapped it, and the engine revs to full throttle and won’t idle down even when I remove my finger from the gas. I have to completely shut the jet ski down. The only think I put in for the winter was sta-nil in about 1/4 of gas. Anyone have this issue or know of what I might be able to check???

Last edited:
Tell me about your off-season storage maintenance. What did you do, and what didn't you do?

Take off your seat and watch the throttle linkage, does the linkage on the throttle body snap back to idle when you release the throttle trigger or does it stick?

OBTW, when you store the ski for long periods, the gas tank should be full. With all the air space with a 1/4 tank of gas, moisture in the air (humidity) will condense and settle in the fuel. If you use regular gas with ethanol, water is even more of a problem. Sta-Bil will help, but the tank needs to be full.

Checked the linkage today. It’s springs back just fine. When I start the ski it will idle at 4000rpm for about 5 seconds and then jumps to 6000rpm and then to wide open throttle. I filled the gas tank with fresh gas. I’ll try and run some through tomorrow slowly.

That is weird for sure! Maybe Skidoo will chime in. I'd suspect the ECU since it controls idle speed, but Skidoo may have other ideas.

Good advice on the linkage sticking and partially filled fuel tank.

Doesn't the 4-tec have an idle speed compensator device? I'm not sure about the 4-tec specifically but fogging oil can make them sticky.

Evan, do you have a Can-Doo scanner? I just remembered you can pull up throttle position on a laptop if you have a Can-Doo. That way you can see if the throttle position sensor input to the ECU is changing value as you operate the throttle.

Tell me about your off-season storage maintenance. What did you do, and what didn't you do?

Take off your seat and watch the throttle linkage, does the linkage on the throttle body snap back to idle when you release the throttle trigger or does it stick?

OBTW, when you store the ski for long periods, the gas tank should be full. With all the air space with a 1/4 tank of gas, moisture in the air (humidity) will condense and settle in the fuel. If you use regular gas with ethanol, water is even more of a problem. Sta-Bil will help, but the tank needs to be full.

If water is a problem, it is with the ethanol in the fuel, don't waste money in filling up the tank. Keep it empty when you store it.
You could keep it full if you had the possibility to drain the water, but it is not on a PWC.

Evan, do you have a Can-Doo scanner? I just remembered you can pull up throttle position on a laptop if you have a Can-Doo. That way you can see if the throttle position sensor input to the ECU is changing value as you operate the throttle.
I tried to read the codes by pressing the set button 5 times, but all that comes up is “END”. I’m assuming that means it’s not reading fault codes. If I bought the candoo limited version for $400, do you think it would pull anything that’s wouldn’t be showing up on the sequence code thing I did ???

If water is a problem, it is with the ethanol in the fuel, don't waste money in filling up the tank. Keep it empty when you store it.
You could keep it full if you had the possibility to drain the water, but it is not on a PWC.

Let's correct the record with information from the Sea-Doo Owner's manual & Sta-Bil.

Here's a clip from the manual.

1562504891323.png

Now read the instructions on the Sta-Bil website:

Sta-Bil.JPG

Always reference your manual when performing maintenance tasks (especially storage maintenance). I've been servicing my 2002 skis since I bought them, and I've never had a fuel system issue.

Well, that's one you don't see everyday. Keep us posted after you change that manifold.
I replaced the manifold with one I found on eBay for $40. Bolted on plugged all the sensors back on and it ran like a champ this weekend, but now I have a rock stuck in the impeller from and inexperienced rider starting it to close to shore. Thanks for the fuel storage info. I will def be following them this off season.

Good report @evan1342, vacuum leaks deserve mention more often b/c some models it's common.

And yes, for EFI b/c the electric fuel pump in the tank is easily corroded by moisture in air you have to keep the tank full during storage, this means stabilizer will be necessary. I recommend using stabilizer even if you have marina fuel. Put the stabilizer in and chase it with fuel to wash it down into the tank and run the engine last outing to distribute the stabilizer throughout.

If it weren't for the electric fuel pump, I prefer to empty the tank. Keep in mind, some tanks are upwards of 80 gallons and that's one heck of a lot of fuel to dispose of, especially once it sours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back