2003 GTI RFI rebuild or new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4ifrank

This Seadoo was passed on to me by a family member. We had fun on it this summer and then it stopped running. Took it to the local dealer and they said there was no compression in one of the cylinders. I'm not a mechanic, so I'm trying to get the best advice as to what direction to take? Dealer said around $3000 for a rebuild. I've done some research on here and found a thread on SES and saw some info on Full Bore Online.

So I have a couple of questions?

Should I go with a new OEM engine? Idea on cost? or

Should I rebuild what I have? Recommend a rebuilder?

How much should a shop charge to remove and install the engine? And from the research I've done on here, I think I understood that the carbs need to be rebuilt at the same time?

Thanks for any help, love the forum, just found it today.

And Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:

welcome to the forum! first of all the rfi has no carbs but fuel injection. i just had my 787rfi rebuild by ses took 8 weeks including shipping both ways.
cost me 949.00 with 2 year no fault warranty shipped both ways as part of the off season special but i see that the price will increase to 999.00 as of jan 1 2014. it would cost as much to do it yourself without warranty! sbt has quick turnaround time but is more$
then there's full bore but i don't know much about them. somebody may chime in.
one of the things you need to find out is what the was cause of failure. wrong oil? bad injectors? leaking oil hose? or just plain worn out?
knowing what the cause was will go a long way to keep it from repeating itself again.
for peace of mind i would also replace the fuel injectors.http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/bosch65lbhour650cclowimpedancefuelinjector.aspx
if you have any mechanical skills you may attempt to r&r the motor yourself. down load the service manual and visit this great forum full of info and skills. ask away and keep us posted.

The advantage of an SES motor is the no fault coverage. If it fails for any reason you are covered.

I do not know of any dealer that will offer you that kind of coverage.

As mentioned above, if you do not know what failed and why it failed it would be reckless of us to offer legit motor advice. And the issue in finding out what happened and what is wrong will cost you labor from the dealer.

As mentioned, if you can pull the engine yourself you will save money. But you should at least get a quote to pull and reinstall a rebuilt motor from the dealer. This would tell you where you would be for their labor plus the cost of an SES engine. It will be less than 3 grand for sure.

depending on where you live would influence where i would do business, shipping is a factor, you are listed united states, thats a big place -- lol, im in florida, when i need a motor, i drive to http://www.shopsbt.com/ clearwater, fl -- no shipping

Thanks for the answers. I live in north Georgia and I'm not sure what caused the failure. We used it during the summer and it just stopped running one day. Took it to the dealer and they said there was no compression in one of the cylinders. It is 10 years old and never had anything go wrong with it, so I'm guessing its just age? Anyway, there are a few local dealers and I've only checked with one so far and they quoted me $3k for a rebuilt engine. I searched this forum and found that ses and full bore seem to do a pretty good job.

My other option is to buy a new engine, I'm guessing that's better than a rebuild?

I did look at the shop manual and it said 4 hours to pull and replace the engine, does that sound correct? I don't have the time to do it myself, nor would I trust myself to do that job :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where about are you in the USA. maybe a member close to you is willing to help.

But whatever way you choose make sure that the new motor is aligned to the pump. if someone else, (even a Dealer) does it, ask to see their Seadoo alignment tool. If they don't have one, then good luck.

I'm in Ga as well. I just put an SBT 787 in one of my skis and so far it's been great . Shipping isn't too bad to GA and if you can do the install yourself it's an affordable way to go. Also, the quickest turnaround time for a reman with a no fault warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in North GA?? I'm in Ringgold. If you are close enough, maybe I can help you in my spare time.

Where about are you in the USA. maybe a member close to you is willing to help.

But whatever way you choose make sure that the new motor is aligned to the pump. if someone else, (even a Dealer) does it, ask to see their Seadoo alignment tool. If they don't have one, then good luck.
good point, i asked my local dealer if they had one for rent and he said they dont even have one in the shop! kinda odd since they had a few 2 smokers in the bull pen up for repairs so i know they work on them still.

I'm in Gainesville.

I'll be sure to ask about the alignment tool. Interesting, I thought the dealer would be seadoo certified?

Should the dealers give a warranty if they install a new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back