2002 X20 with 240 EFI m2 Seems rich when trying to start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian in Honolulu

First its not my boat. I am the mechanic.
When I first looked at the boat I determined it was hard to start due to fuel issue. As I don't have fuel pressure tester I took it to A mercury repair shop. $400 and they said all was good but need injectors .
I took it home and found injectors to be over $500 each injector. So I sent them to be rebuilt. Came back all good.
Put it all back together with new filters and fuel lines.
Ran good out of water. Put it in the water and did not make it 150 feet before died and would not start. I determined fuel.
I remind you I am not a outboard technician.
I studied parts lists until I realized there are 2 separate fuel systems I am dealing with.
I realized low pressure system is pumping fuel from tank through filters and to high pressure fuel tank where there is a float and needle and seat just like a carburetor. Found my first problem. needle stuck not letting in fuel.
So to anyone here not trying to help me fix my other issue and reading just for information, don't forget to check that needle and seat in secondary fuel bowel.
So now I have it running. but seems rich when trying to start.
I need to turn the steering wheel to open up throttle plate for easier starting. While out in the ocean today low speed throttle cable broke . I was glad I took a second person with me. Someone had to turn the key while I held open the throttle so it would start.
So why would my fuel injected engine be so cranky starting? Good compression, good fuel, good spark and plugs. What am I missing here that I can check?
I cant send people out into the ocean with a boat that is not reliable. I may be able to McGuiver it but I can't teach the owners how to also.
What am I missing here?

2002 is a transition year, so we need to know what engine you have. Please post the serial number of the power head. Also, is the plastic cover on the flywheel round, or more rectangle shaped?

OE397395
201 240 M2

Has round plastic flywheel cover
Thanks for the reply Dr.
I have been reading your replies to all the issues here. even ones that I don't have. You are definitely knowledgeable here.
I also encountered yesterday taking boat out again, the oil alarm was beeping. I filled everything and toped off but continually beeped yesterday. I read that Seadoo uses the oil light for other notifications other than oil?
The owners of this boat may be thinking I am some kind of scammer as I have had the boat for months, spent thousands of there money on parts and they still don't have there boat. I have not even asked to get paid for any of my hours of work because I feel I should have had it all done by now.
I have done lots of reading and studying of parts manuals to get this thing running perfectly. Is there such a thing as "running perfectly" with these older Seadoo's?

OK... you have a 2001-1/2 and earlier engine.

Yes... the "OIL" alarm on these boats is wrong. Seadoo normally only had a oil alert, but Mercury had several alarms, and seadoo just left the old icon on the gauge. It can be a few things... but there are some differences in the beeps. A solid tone is over heat... beeping is some other issue.

Back to your original issue...

A had to start boat, is from a rich condition most of the time. The quick/easy thing to check, is the port side temp sender. BUT, the TPS could be going bad too. You can check both with a meter. The procedure is in the manual. If either is too far out of range, the ECU will run you at max fuel to be safe. At idle, that's 40% over standard, but at full throttle it comes more into line. That's why it will run properly as you give it throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back