2002 X20 Merc 240 (New Owner)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joha0036

Hello as a new owner of a 2002 X20 I've been frequenting this forum reading several posts trying to work out all the kinks of the boat before spring hits and I can get it on the water. I purchased it during a MN winter and was not able to run on the lake - this was a gamble I know, but the price was right due to the seller moving out of state. I looked it over before I bought it and its quite clean. I did a compression test on it and everything was at least 120psi (without holding WOT), previous owner bought it from a dealer the summer before so I assumed it was at least inspected a year ago and decided to pull the trigger. I brought it home, so far I've changed the spark plugs, replaced inline fuel filter, replace fuel water separator, changed both lower unit oils and the seal on the stator, replaced the ladder because the clasp catch was broken off, put in a new stereo, replaced a broken trailer fender and light, new trailer wheel bearings, etc.

Anyway I'd like to think I'm basically ready to have a good reliable boat this summer but still have a few minor things I'd like to address.

1.) The fuel gauge doesn't work (empty all of the time). I have taken the baffle out and confirmed the float looks good. Jumping the gauge wires will spike the gauge to full so I assume it is my "F1 Fuse" in the baffle. I've seen lots of ways to open these up at solder them or purchase new for $235. My question is - is there any safety risks associated with soldering the terminals and removing the fuse on a fuel baffle? I'm all for saving money but $235 vs the safety of my family... :confused: Has anyone done this and had issues? Is there a way to put an inline fuse in to keep the protection of the original fuse intact?

2.) Is there a way to tell if my engine has ever had the plastic oil pump gear updated? visually with a scope? Serial number of the engine tell what one might be in it from factory?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses! I've already used this forum a lot as a new owner and plan to be a contributing member as time allows.

Enjoy that new-to-you rig! we love ours. What part of Minnesota are you from, and what lakes do you frequent!

Welcome to the X-20 club!!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome message! Sorry for the delayed response, I'm down in the Mankato area, frequenting the lakes around here mostly but we have plans to take a few trips to northern MN to do some island camping this summer as well as travel to our cabin in northern Wisconsin. I see in your picture you have your spare mounted. What mount did you use? I bought this one and I couldn't get it to mount anywhere without hitting the boat. So I also bought the u-bolt style and couldn't find a good place for that either.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/household-hardware/door-window-hardware/towing-accessories/spare-tire-carrier/p-1444426268306-c-9116.htm?tid=4339236008617635948

On another note, where did you mount the transducer for your lowrance? I just picked up a lowrance hook4 on sale this weekend and am trying to figure out the best place to install it.

Looking forward to your response!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My tire mount was designed for a boat trailer, rather than a sled or utility trailer. So the actual spot to mount the tire on is angled to allow it to follow the line of the bow. It worked pretty good, and it is far enough forward that the bow is square before getting to the winch post. A person has to be careful as the brake line does come out of the trailer frame right there, so you don't want to pinch that off. (ask me how I know)

The transducer is mounted on a flat spot inside the hull and shoots through the hull. I tested this on the hull with a bag of water and it worked, so I installed it with marine epoxy. It is in front the jet intake. It seems to be accurate up to about 45mph. Then is gets spotty signal.

The hook 4 is a great sonar for the money. That's a great deal under $200 for downscan. The only issue you will have with it, is downscan transducers need to be outside the hull and will not shoot through the hull accurately. So you will be finding a spot on the back of the hull and drilling your cable through. Or follow some guides that others have done for Downscan sonars.

It's the only reason I went with a very entry level sonar as it was priced about the same as an in-dash gauge, and I could shoot through hull.

Good luck. Buzz back here if any other questions pop up.

Mark

PS: Post up some photos of that rig!

Thanks for the information. I did some more looking today and ordered another tire mount that looks to have more of an angle on it. I should have paid closer attention when I ordered the first one from a big online marine retailer instead of assuming it would just be for a boat trailer application.

I'm glad to know the transducer works well in front of the jet intake. I've been kicking around the idea of doing it outside and drilling a hole through the hull for the cable near where the speedo cable runs though. I have read a response from Lowrance to a customer that says this transducer can mount thru-hull but like you said, the downscan will suffer. My options are now in-hull in front of the jet intake like you did living without full functionality or just to the starboard side of the speedo externally with the cable run through the hull near the speedo cables entry point. I am hesitant and didn't have much luck searching for other X20 owners with downscan. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I think I will try your suggestion with a bag of water in-hull and see what kind of results I get before drilling any holes. Any pictures of your install for reference?

I'm finishing up some repairs/modifications this week/weekend so it's pretty dirty! I just got off the phone with a marine detailing service scheduled for "before April 9th" Then I'll post pictures.

I put it on the water for the first time last night and it all went well - it smoked a little but not overly bad (temp sensor?) aside from the inconvenience of unloading and loading without a dock put in at the public access yet it was good[emoji41] (I'm now considering the VeVe trailer guides - how tall are yours 65"?). Maybe I'll test the transducer this weekend it's supposed to be 57ish.

Well I have basically finished up the maintenance/restoring/modifying of the X20.

I got it buffed and waxed and installed hydro turf purchase from pwc muscle.com:

190.jpg
191.jpg

Smith trailer guide posts and light (painted black - can post pictures if requested)

Lowrance Hook4 with gps and downscan (I'll do a separate post on this install)

Installed 1/2npt brass drain plugs with blue led plug lights with this I also installed some Pyle speakers with LEDs and an additional blue LED up under front seat to basically light up the entire boat:

192.jpg

I also did the F1 fuse DIY fix of removing the fuse, bridging the circuit board with solder and installing an inline fuse as a replacement to get my fuel gauge working.

193.jpg
194.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back