2002 Seadoo gtx di

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret Outing

I’m a new owner of used 2002 seadoo gtx di
Dealer did say it’s going to need a fuel pump and I plan to rebuild it for lower price.
I heard there are special maintenance concerns with this model. I’d like to know what they are.

Welcome.
The DI fuel pump is pretty temperamental and expensive at $800. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know what it is talking about since it is either working or it isn't. The best you can do for the fuel pump is to replaced the fuel filters and clean it in a 50/50 mixture of gas and toluene.

Second you need to make sure you are only using full synthetic API-TC rated oil, if it is blue or green it's wrong.
The little 3/32" oil lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold should be changed and the inline oil filter.
Finally the jet pump oil should be changed and wear ring inspected.

It starts right up and runs but apparently needs a fuel pump according to Parker Yamaha. It got new plugs, gas and ride plate before I got it.

So you don’t think I should just rebuild the fuel pump. Just replace filters and clean it?

What is the reason for replacing the oil pump lines? Would you replace lines each time you replace inline filter and how often?

The oil lines get brittle with age, and although the oil injection system is very reliable, the little lines are the most likely place to see a failure. I’d change them now, and then every couple of years afterwards.

I’m surprised Parker would tell you that. They’re generally considered one of the better dealers around...

Like I said if it runs fine the fuel pump is fine. They either work or they don’t and there’s nothing to rebuild. Either you replace them or you don’t and they are $800.

If it’s running ok then the only thing you should do to the pump is replace the filters.

My suggested list of maintenance items:
Compression test. 140psi is perfect 110psi is rebuild time
Pull the fuel pump and change the filters. Clean it good while out.
Inspect gas tank and make sure it is squeaky clean.
Change the exterior canister filter.
Drain the oil and replace oil filter. Replace with XPS full synthetic oil
Change plugs
Send injectors out to be cleaned.
Do a voltage test. Replace rectifier if voltage test fails with OEM rectifier.
Pull jet pump and inspect. At minimum change pump oil.
Inspect and replace carbon seal.
Make a fuel gauge and measure fuel pressure. 107psi combined
Good luck. Keep us posted.

My suggested list of maintenance items:
Compression test. 140psi is perfect 110psi is rebuild time
Pull the fuel pump and change the filters. Clean it good while out.
Inspect gas tank and make sure it is squeaky clean.
Change the exterior canister filter.
Drain the oil and replace oil filter. Replace with XPS full synthetic oil
Change plugs
Send injectors out to be cleaned.
Do a voltage test. Replace rectifier if voltage test fails with OEM rectifier.
Pull jet pump and inspect. At minimum change pump oil.
Inspect and replace carbon seal.
Make a fuel gauge and measure fuel pressure. 107psi combined
Good luck. Keep us posted.

The exterior canister filter is fuel filter?

Filters for the fuel pump, where can I buy those?

Internal filters are Airtex FS220 & FS242 can be purchased at most any big box auto parts store.

The very expensive exterior fuel canister filter can be purchased from Sea Doo dealer. I personally cut it off and replace with a WIX33095 filter from Summit Racing for about 10 bucks using heavy duty stainless steel hose clamps.

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy 5/16 fuel injection hose clamps that look perfect. They will not fit the extra thick marine fuel hose that's in there.

Ok so I ended up calling Parker Yamaha directly and asked about the unit. They were very willing to help and even typed up and sent me the notes the last time it was in there shop. Copied and pasted below.

6/20/19 WT 1 customer states unit starts and runs but tops at 30 mph when turning the unit speed is reduced to a crawl no indicator lights on. check & advise. **note customer states unit has new spark plugs new battery high pressure fuel lines and fresh gas**

6/17/19 SG @ 2:00 -spoke with Robyn received authorization to proceed with replacing intake grate & water test for $325

7/3/19 SG @ 11:45 spoke with Robyn she decided to stop further repairs will pay for intake grate and water test. Will pickup 7/4/19

8/16/19 KP checked impeller and wear ring some dings on impeller not to much a problem

replaced intake grate & river tested unit would not go over 10 mph checked fuel pressure. Pressure at 96 psi (spec 107 psi) bad fuel pump unit needs fuel pump replaced.

Checked air pump pressure @ 100 psi (spec 90 psi minimum)

unit may have more issues need replace fuel pump to further diag.

So fuel pressure is verified to be low.
I would clean the pump and replace the filters and retest.

Yes fuel pump pressure is low.
As we have said before pull the fuel pump, replace the filters, clean the pump, reassemble and test.

Had to fish one of the fuel filters out of the tank. It’s outer layer the mesh stuff is kindof falling apart. Assume because of that I should clean the tank out really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back