2002 Sea Doo Challenger 2000 trip to Catalina Island, California.....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatina2002

Questions for Californians, or Sea doo Challenger 2000 owner, I am going to Catalina Island this coming Saturday, anybody experience boater that use challenger to Catalina Island. The island is only about 25 miles from the shore, I know the 40 gallons is enough to navigate going there but I believe I need to refuel upon arriving there... planning to cruise about 20-25 mph comfortably depending on the waves... Maybe about 1 hour to 1 hour 1/2 is the travel time... I need your feedback on this travel since 19 foot boat is a little small with big waves in the ocean... We are going fishing, we are equipped with Lowrance hook 7 with GPS.... VHF radio... and a battery operated trolling motor for emergency and padle.... with Sea-tow number in hand just in case of emergency. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you.

"Big waves in the ocean" and "19 foot boat" are seldom seen in the same sentence. Not my idea of a fun trip.

These boats were made/built for lakes and calm water. How many spider cracks can you count in your gel coat? Caused by pounding into "big waves". A paddle is all but useless in our boats against any kind of breeze. Also, the high gunwale makes paddling difficult. SeaTow may still be at anchor somewhere when you might REALLY need them.
Navigate? If you are off a degree, you missed. Not sure how a trolling motor fits onto a SeaDoo.

Sorry about throwing cold water in your face; but you did ask.

Flotilla, everyone wears their PFD AT ALL TIMES, leave before dawn before wind picks up. Good luck!

Thanks Tim75, I don't have really big spider cracks underneath but I see some bass fishing boats that able to travel to the Island, I'll try my best to navigate this nice island, we are excited to fish with the yellows, hopefully some white sea bass.... but definitely extra be careful and get ready to have SeaTow in hand.... I saw youtube videos with small bass fishing boats, some small 18 foot center console, so I think its just guts and experience is the key.... I'll give you feedback on our expedition and put my experience into actions. Thank you for you honest opinion....

Just watch the weather...I go out there on my '06 GTX with no problems. We launch in Long Beach by the Queen Mary, shoot over there for brunch. I see small boats over there all the time. Just be smart!

Have the number for the Coast Guard on speed dial. I wouldn't attempt what you're attempting but I wish you best of luck and a fun trip.

Hello Everyone, just give you an update to our nice fishing trip to Catalina Island California... I have a 2002 Sea Doo Challenger 240 EFI 1st Gen engine, equipped with Lowrance Hook 7 GPS/fishfinder and also attached a live bait the back platform with 320 gph bilge pimp, there’s 5 adults in the boat, we left at San Pedro Cabrillo Beach boat ramp at around 7 am arrive at Catalina at 8:15 am, the ocean is calm, clear and cruising speed at GPS average at 25-30 mph... the ride is smooth and saw shark fin in the middle of the ocean. GPS waypoint is very helpful in following the directions or line for the destination... we arrive at our fishing destination decided to stay at 160-200 feet depth of water, we caught 1st Bonita and ive got 14.5” sheephead, octupos, eel, and sculpin, my nephew caught biggest 19.5” canary rockfish and we just having fun fishing and my dad caught a lot of whitefish with our bag limit was achieved and we decided to change location buy no luck and decided to go to our first spot and still caught a lot of fish... we decided to go back around 3 pm, my fuel from the start is full and arrive at 1 bar from 1/2 mark and decided to refuel at the island and gas is $7.10 per gallon and decided to have a $100.00 fuel not even filling up the half tank challnger... when we got back thats where the challenge begin the San Pedro Channel wave was about 2-3 feet and cruising speed at slower rate GPS guided at 15-25 mph and our sitting distribution was 2 in front side of seating im in the captain sot and 2 in the aft sitting... the 2 passenger complaint of backpain every time the boat slam in the wave upon coming back... we saw Catalina express fastcraft pass us... thats how slow we are and we got very wet due to wave splash that you cant avoid but over-all trip is fun and ill do it again during summer season next year... one trip per year probably... enjoy our pictures.. thats for your feedback everyone...

Attachments

• 9C12E784-0855-4ED9-848F-918F81C85F25.jpeg
    9C12E784-0855-4ED9-848F-918F81C85F25.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 1CCA6776-FAF0-4D49-836B-A84C4DDA78A7.jpeg
    1CCA6776-FAF0-4D49-836B-A84C4DDA78A7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • BBE225AA-7E56-4EC9-9D4F-7EBE66EEB602.jpeg
    BBE225AA-7E56-4EC9-9D4F-7EBE66EEB602.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • D8D3A444-DB73-44B2-B9DF-421B7074157D.jpeg
    D8D3A444-DB73-44B2-B9DF-421B7074157D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 2DA0F493-2AC4-4AE8-9364-6EE7F22EFBD4.jpeg
    2DA0F493-2AC4-4AE8-9364-6EE7F22EFBD4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
Glad you are back safe. I still would not do it.

Next time, maybe camp in the boat overnight and come back in the morning?

Have you checked again for spider cracks in the gelcoat?

$7.10/gal? YIKES!

Hey Tim i check the spider crack right now... its not a lot though but the middle bow underneath is in the fore area is already showing degeneration with part of brown fiberglass is showing off i need to repair the hull in bottom front hull probably from beaching in the lake.... any suggestions for repair?

My Islandia's hull had been beached numerous times by the previous owner and was even developing a crack where the layers of bare fiberglass had been worn down. I had all of the worn areas to include a bunch of gouges and paint flaws repaired and painted for $700.

Thanks Tupperwolf, definitely will check it here if somebody can offer cheap labor but i'll do the work probably with fiberglass repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back