2000 Sea doo challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

culculhin

I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 Sea doo challenger. Comes with a trailer for $6500. Looks like good condition. Is this a good deal? I assume at that age the engine might be worn out, would a compression test tell me everything I need to know? What's the main problems with these boats that I need to look out for? Thanks for any feedback!

I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 Sea doo challenger. Comes with a trailer for $6500. Looks like good condition. Is this a good deal? I assume at that age the engine might be worn out, would a compression test tell me everything I need to know? What's the main problems with these boats that I need to look out for? Thanks for any feedback!

Detail- what is the year of the boat? All the 20 foot boats were known as "2000". A bit of confusion from SeaDoo.

These engines are old and Mercury has discontinued them. Most parts are still available, but some are crazy expensive. TPS is about $550. ($99 for TPS for a Cadillac.)

Some engines had issues with the oil pump drive gear. It is plastic. If the engine overheats, the pump shaft seizes in its housing and destroys the drive gear. Severe engine damage follows in seconds. Some engines have had the oil pump system removed so you must run pre-mix oil/gas.

Take it for a test drive in the water. Engine should rev to at least 5800rpm. The tach works? Check the rubber bellows at the end of shift and steering cables. Is the rubber intact? Move the bucket and nozzle. Any crunching or grinding noise? If yes; don't launch until that cable is replaced. Failed rubber will mean replacing a cable. Before you launch- is there any sign of oil leak from the stator or gear box? Does every electric thing work?

Trailer- aluminum or steel? if steel, is it galvanized or just painted? Has the boat & trailer lived in salt water or fresh water? Do the lights work? Does it tow straight or weave? How are the tires?

Any doubt- hire a marine surveyor.

I would highly recommend a compression test (all cylinders) be done. Electronics (aside from TPS) are reasonably priced and available... but a blown cylinder and/or rebuild will be VERY expensive. Also ensure it starts/runs smooth. Don't rev-it-out on the trailer (out of the water). On the water test would be best.

But the price seems fair (I paid a little more than that in my over-priced market) for a clean, good condition, solid running engine Challenger 2K

You’ll have to do a lot of work yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back