2002 GTX RFI running on one cylinder

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

DA-GTX

I have 2002 gtx rfi ,
First, it stalled on me in water, it started after, but rough, took it home, works ok out of water,

Took it other day for a spin, after few minutes it completely shut down on me.

Spark was ok.
Now it works on one cylinder, the one towards the back,
Replaced spark plugs.
Still same problem.

Thanks

The not working piston has 30psi
The working piston has 150psi

When I bought it back in 2020 both pistons had 150psi
Any thoughts,??
Do those engines have valves(intake /exhaust)?

Thanks

You seized a cylinder, engine will need a new top end at minimum with cylinders bored oversized and oversized pistons fitted.

Typical cause is a dirty fuel system and/or injectors.

Do not rebuild without finding the cause.

It happened out of a sudden,
Thanks for the help,
Anybody knows a pwc mechanic around Ottawa/Canada.?

They were a BRP dealership for a lot of years, lost their dealership because they couldn’t build a new shiny building. Young Jim has rebuilt enough of them that he could probably do it in his sleep

I was going to message earlier, I habe a snowmobile Sdi MXZ lost compression in one cylinder, rebuilt it and didn’t realize it was due to poor spray pattern in one of the injectors. Once I got it back together it was only running in one cylinder. After some diagnosis I had the injectors tester and cleaned and that solved the problem. Sounds similar to your situation. I took my injectors to Kingston Diesel.

It seems to me not a big issue , it happened quick, not a cylinder issue, it had 150psi before.
Anyhow, i’ll take it to have it checked.
I’ll post any updates,

You definitely need to look at the pistons and combustion chamber to figure out what happened and why. I always send the fuel injectors out for cleaning and testing and replace the filters in the fuel tank. Check fuel pressure before you disassemble anything.

My advice would be take care of this yourself. It's the only way to insure a quality job in a timely way. No one cares as much about getting your ski running as you do.

I know and trust this guy for our forum and private messages we have shared. He is the real deal and a good guy. @Mekanix Good luck whatever you choose.

It seems to me not a big issue , it happened quick, not a cylinder issue, it had 150psi before.
Anyhow, i’ll take it to have it checked.
I’ll post any updates,
It is a big issue and a cylinder issue.
You don't drop 120 psi in compression without cylinder and piston damage, doesn't matter how fast it happened.

Thanks for the replies,
I dropped it to Jim’s Performance in Iroquois,

First With scope camera he saw something shouldn’t be there, anyway , he’ll gave me call on how big the damage is.

that’s great, pretty fast turnaround. I’m sure they will fix whatever caused that piston to go down as I mentioned before lots of experience there working on the 2 strokes but maybe better ask and make sure whatever caused it, is fixed also or the same thing will probably happen again.

I just stopped at Jim’s performance and was talking to Patty. She said it was a ring. I know I didn’t have to but I told her to make sure they know why it went down. She assured me young Jim Would. Party had real nice things to say about you

Thanks on checking on it, Indeed Jim’s and Patty they treated me like a family,
I spoke to her late last week,
Wondering what caused the rings to break!!.

They will take care of you, if it was rebuilt before and ports weren’t chamfered that’s could cause a broken ring

My seadoo up and running,
New piston+rings
And only rings on the second piston.
Jim did this to maintain same pressure on both cylinders.
Also he mentioned that on broken rings , they were spun around so the edges of the rings facing the valves opening, when that happens, rings will catch and break .

All i can say is Jim is a great mechanic 👍.

Last edited:
I will pop in sometimes and talk to Jim, he will start going on about all this engine stuff and I have no idea what he’s talking about lol, so I just shake my head up and down. Every once in awhile I will say “ Jim, I have no idea what you are talking about”

There is no way the rings can "spin around" someone had to have installed them wrong.

Back