2002 gtx di ecu

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

russellb

I have a 2002 GTX DI that is at the PWC mechanics shop. It did not run when I got it. It has had a remanufactured engine put in and has had the jet pump rebuilt and the impeller sent out pitch checked and balanced. Mechanic says everything is done but it is not getting any spark. He is saying it needs an ECU? Does anyone know where I can get an ECU for a reasonable price? Is the part he is calling the ECU the same as the MPEM? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, the problem could be the MPEM or a connector somewhere may not have been connected when the engine was installed. This could be several things, even the flywheel position sensor may be defective.

I'm pretty sure your mechanic should have checked all these things though?

I have to wonder about your mechanic though if he really knows Seadoos he should call it an MPEM. Maybe he works on mostly new Seadoos, they changed the terminology to ECU I think.

Anyway, @minnetonka4you can get you one or you can get one from ebay or something. Make sure the part number tag matches up so it's the correct replacement and it needs to come programmed with a DESS key or teo, else the DESS key has to be programmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought........

Does your mechanic have a tool like the candoo pro to run diagnostics? The reason I ask is because if you do in fact buy another MPEM/ECU you will most likely need to have the timing checked, (or at least set it to the same setting as you current one.) Also you should set the TPS sensors, & like sportster mentions, the keys.

If you have to bring it to someone else to have those procedures done, you might want to consider bringing it there before you purchase a new one as they might be able to check more things first?

Maybe your guy already has this covered, but seemed like something to consider.

Since this guy has had it at his shop since June I'm really starting to doubt his mechanical ability.

It's pretty difficult if not impossible to diagnose a DI without a Candoo. Without it most times its guessing be it educated or not. If you are keeping this machine I'd highly recommend the $400 investment.

The mechanic is telling me I need a replacement MPEM. Would the Candoo tool be able to diagnose if the MPEM needs to be replaced or just reprogrammed? Maybe I should ask the mechanic if he has the tool. Assuming I do need an MPEM does anyone know where I can buy one from a reputable source with a warranty?

a warranty ? thats asking a bit for used electronics... except that if it fails or doesn't work immediately you might be able to utilize the paypal/ebay guarantee for 60 days.

you should find them on ebay, forget the asking price, make offers to those that allow it, they usually sell in the $350 range , ignore the $600 ones for sale... In my (limited) experience DI MPEM's are usually reasonable since more DI's are parted out these days than restored, so its more of a buyers market IMO.

[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] has MPEM's and is well respected for not peddling junk. He can program the lanyards too, as many of them as you want (to max limit), good to have a spare lanyard just in case.

These MPEM's when they go bad are not reprogrammable, but you will need to have programming done for the lanyard and some tuning parameters specific to your engine, such as throttle position sensor calibration for fuel injected motors. This final tuning should be done by someone who has candoo, once the ski is back running again.

I have been told that there are some people who sell used parts that will exchange a part if you find that it doesn't work. That would work for me. I know that the pick and pull auto parts yards have a policy like that.

a warranty ? thats asking a bit for used electronics... except that if it fails or doesn't work immediately you might be able to utilize the paypal/ebay guarantee for 60 days.

you should find them on ebay, forget the asking price, make offers to those that allow it, they usually sell in the $350 range , ignore the $600 ones for sale... In my (limited) experience DI MPEM's are usually reasonable since more DI's are parted out these days than restored, so its more of a buyers market IMO.

Thanks, that is exactly the type of information that I was hoping to learn from my post. I will send a message and see if he can help me.

[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] has MPEM's and is well respected for not peddling junk. He can program the lanyards too, as many of them as you want (to max limit), good to have a spare lanyard just in case.

These MPEM's when they go bad are not reprogrammable, but you will need to have programming done for the lanyard and some tuning parameters specific to your engine, such as throttle position sensor calibration for fuel injected motors. This final tuning should be done by someone who has candoo, once the ski is back running again.

Thanks Sportster...yes there are not too many jetski parts guys that stand behind electronics. I just replied to your PM.

Thanks, that is exactly the type of information that I was hoping to learn from my post. I will send a message and see if he can help me.

You're welcome and sorry I didn't do a good job of explaining it the first time around, LOL, even the link was wrong, sorry.

I hope the MPEM takes care of this problem, MPEM failure is rather abnormal but they are known to go bad occasionally (especially if the ski is jump started or starting battery is charged while connected to engine). I've replaced two defective engine controllers in a couple boats this year myself, way past normal failure replacement rate for me.

Stands to reason though, now we have a larger percentage of fuel injection systems on the water and fewer carbureted engines, we can anticipate more failed ECM replacements as opposed to fewer.

Ill post what I posted in his PM....

On the 02-04s (I hope im remembering this correctly, could just be 03-04s) they have a small power relay box that seems to be a common failure point. Power gets to nothing, and the MPEM is blamed. On many machines its true, but on these specific DI models I have seen 3-4 cases where it was the relay.

Right, Good idea. Not sure or aware of the relay on the 2002 models, however for the group effort an electrical schematic for this ski would be beneficial and if the OP wants to troubleshoot using a voltmeter as opposed to throwing parts at it we can provide some ideas of where to make voltage measurements.

Could be something as simple as the ground in the e-box where many of them loosen up over time. That stack of ring lugs contains the ground for the ignition coils on my boat and one day it's going to create problems.

I could post the 2001 electrical schematic from the service manual (Many Seadoo service manuals are available free on-line with some digging) but not sure if there were changes for 2002. seadoomanuals dot com is where I found my 2001 manual.

So I have an 00 and an 02 DI. Neither one of them have a relay in the rear e-box, but they contain a wire harness with a 30amp fuse. The parts diagram I looked at on the 03 DI has the relay Minnetonka4me was refering to. Looks like it actually houses the 30 amp fuse.

It is a long shot if you don't have the relay, but that 30amp fuse could be blown. I know a guy that had every go dead on His carbed 951 early in the Spring a couple years ago. It ended up being that fuse being blown. Replaced and was good to go.

You're welcome and sorry I didn't do a good job of explaining it the first time around, LOL, even the link was wrong, sorry.

I hope the MPEM takes care of this problem, MPEM failure is rather abnormal but they are known to go bad occasionally (especially if the ski is jump started or starting battery is charged while connected to engine). I've replaced two defective engine controllers in a couple boats this year myself, way past normal failure replacement rate for me.

Stands to reason though, now we have a larger percentage of fuel injection systems on the water and fewer carbureted engines, we can anticipate more failed ECM replacements as opposed to fewer.

So even keeping a battery tender on it with never putting the key on post couple damage mpem? I'm sure I read a post somewhere that said it was ok??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So even keeping a battery tender on it with never putting the key on post couple damage mpem? I'm sure I read a post somewhere that said it was ok??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's worth taking the chance myself. This question always reminds me of the time I was in the lake while a storm was at the other end quite a distance away and lightning struck over on the other side. Well, that experience lit me up pretty good, but my point is what happens if a tree falls on a power line oe lightbing hits the power cables down the block, there could be enough of a spike that passes right through the tender into your MPEM to fry it.

Not sure why anyone thinks not pressing the start button has anything to do with it, that advice makes no sense to me b/c the MPEM constantly monitors the start button waiting for a press, so what's the difference really, I think it might be 10% safer at best, perhaps.

Almost the same thing as saying not to connect a battery charger capable of 10A or something like that b/c it's current that damages, not voltage. Umm, that battery is capable of over 200 Amps...... It's the dirty voltage that wipes out the semiconductor devices inside your MPEM.

So I don't see a reason to risk it, in my case, since we know and have proven they are electrically delicate. I have connected the tender momentarily by accident and not suffered damage but those couple times were my oversight and I caught my error.

So I have an 00 and an 02 DI. Neither one of them have a relay in the rear e-box

Correct, those are likely wired the same as the 2001. Not sure when the next revision came and wasn't aware of a relay either and without looking at the correct year schematic it's going to remain unclear.

Here is the 2001 DI schematic, it's easy to see there's no relay involved. Aside from the familiar starter solenoid of course (see attached). If I knew they were the same I could use this schematic to suggest several voltage check locations to help rule out potential non-MPEM issues.

Attachments

• 2001 DI Seadoo Schematic.jpg
    2001 DI Seadoo Schematic.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 8
DAVIDgsx,

I had already replaced my MPEM due to jumping from a car, then, bc I thought I saw it on the forum, I let the tender charge my battery while connected to the ski, my ski didn't start and had a panic attack thinking I fried my MPEM...AGAIN..turns out it was just a bad non-dess lanyard, but for those 48 hours til the new lanyard came, it was not worth the uncertainty of wondering if I fried my MPEM or not.
Simple, learn from other's mistakes and be safe rather than sorry. unscrew the two bolts and take the dang battery out to "tend" it..

For what its worth, I found while the 2002 wiring is different than the 2003 style with the relay, the MPEM is still wired the same. some of the mpems jumpers are swapped for the DESS post & the VTS, but the mpems will work in either year machine. Tried it on my own. Only difference I know of is the 2003 no longer has the clock feature on the info center (because of the cutoff relay) & it has the repeating lanyard key installed warning.

Yep, at least disconnect one side of the battery (even a marine battery switch can be used to disconnect one side if you wish to install one). Disconnecting both sides is as safe as you can possibly get though, nothing wrong with being safe when it involves an MPEM.

When disconnecting, I prefer to disconnect the negative cable first b/c there's less chance of shorting the positive terminal to ground while goofing around in there with bulky tools. In fact, this holds true for any negative ground motor vehicle battery, for this reason. Opposite for positive ground type (ie: 40's vehicles, some Volkswagen beetles, etc.) in the now rare case of positive battery terminal being frame potential disconnect that one first.

For what its worth, I found while the 2002 wiring is different than the 2003 style with the relay, the MPEM is still wired the same. some of the mpems jumpers are swapped for the DESS post & the VTS, but the mpems will work in either year machine. Tried it on my own. Only difference I know of is the 2003 no longer has the clock feature on the info center (because of the cutoff relay) & it has the repeating lanyard key installed warning.

Yes, that that might be helpful. So in the case of the OP's ski the problem description is no spark.

I still have my old dwell meter from back in the day, had two but one grew legs. Do you guys still have yours? Those things are quite handy for these kind of tests, voltage, dwell and tachometer as well. Don't throw them away! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-Prec...-Tach-Volts-/121459409810?hash=item1c478b8392

Aside: I think the factory service manual contains instructions in the ignition troubleshooting section for the DI, a list of potential causes and basic explanation for narrowing down the root causes of no spark by performing the troubleshooting sequence. Several electrical checks are involved.

seadoomanuals dot net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back