2001 speedster....help!!...need tech advise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fresno69

hey guys, i just bought a 01 speedster w/240 merc. the boat is absolutely like brand new. because it was not used for 3 years, it has a full tank of old gas. the boat was stored indoors in dry ca. weather. i drained the old gas and added 5 gallons of good premium gas. it will not start on it's own. if i take out the plugs and spray them down with starter fluid, it will fire for a split second. then i sprayed starter fluid in the air intake flap down in front of the motor and it will run on starter fluid. the plugs were wet when i first removed them, so it is getting gas. could the plugs be fouled, but still fire on starter fluid but not on gas? any advise would be great! i was wondering if the old gas has created a problem throughout the fuel system? or should i start with fresh plugs even though they run on starter fluid?
thanks, Earle

Could be a bad fuel pump, or plugged fuel filters from sitting so long. Start with changing both the fuel filters, and the plugs.

These are the part numbers for the filters, and the plugs.

fuel/water separating filter Mercury part number 35-18458Q4

inline fuel filter Mercury part number 35-889615

Ngk plug number BPZ8HS10 (do not substitute)

Aaron:cheers:

Could be a bad fuel pump, or plugged fuel filters from sitting so long. Start with changing both the fuel filters, and the plugs.

These are the part numbers for the filters, and the plugs.

fuel/water separating filter Mercury part number 35-18458Q4

inline fuel filter Mercury part number 35-889615

Ngk plug number BPZ8HS10 (do not substitute)

hey Aaron, thanks for the help. the only filter i saw was the one at the fuel pump where the hose is attatched, it was clean. where are the others you mentioned??

You found the small inline filter, but the main one is the fuel/water separator. It looks like a spin on oil filter, and has a water sensing probe with a wire attached to it threaded in to the bottom.

Also make sure you have the lanyard attached when you are trying to start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back