2001 Seadoo Sportster LE Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ammeadows

Hello! I am looking to buy a 2001 Seadoo Sportser LE via Facebook marketplace. I am not familiar with the Sportster and looking for help! What questions should I ask? Is $5000 too much? I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the Midwest (KS & MO) that's what they seem to go for in good condition (running, good upholstery, etc). What state are you in?

I am in VA. The guy traded for it last year. Does not know much other than it runs. The speedometer does not work. Just trying to figure out if it is worth the gamble. Spending the money is not the problem, I am just afraid it will need everything once I buy it.

Thoughts?

Full disclosure, I bought mine for $300, so clearly I knew I'd be sinking some money in mine. For 5000 I'd hope it is a pretty solid boat. Maybe that's Midwest of me.
I'll let the more experienced guys give more details on ways to "kick the tires."

My speedo didn't work either, nor did the fuel gauge, the speedo pickup was bad and the fuel sender needed the common solder fix.

They are okay boats depending on what you want to do but make sure to water test for at least 30 minutes and give it some speed, test acceleration too.

These can make near 50MPH but not really strong enough to pull a slalom skier out of the hole with authority.

And the hull is short so if your water is rough, be prepared for a jarring ride.

Easy to handle boat due to small size, they weigh about 1,250 lbs

I think for that price, it better be in excellent condition in about every way.

These are 2-strokes so always test compression before buying, which on these 130psi is top condition. The motors are good for about 250 hours, not thousands of hours, but a very reasonably priced powerhead in comparison.

I don't run mine WOT for more than a minute or two, I take it easy on her.

For that kind of money though, I bet you can find something with a Mercruiser but they're larger, heavier and tough as nails.

A jet has an advantage over the stern drive leg hanging down to snag on things.

I bought my 2004 Sportster for $6,000 CAD this spring. It's in near perfect condition. Even the yellow upholstery is unstained. Like others have said for that price it should be in very nice condition and run well.

Does it include a trailer?
What 2 stroke oil did they use?
What is the current compression on both cylinders?
How old is the battery?
What condition are the seats, and hull?
The Speedo not working could be the paddlewheel assembly. On mine it was the sensor that packed it in.

Does it include a trailer?
What 2 stroke oil did they use?
What is the current compression on both cylinders?
How old is the battery?
What condition are the seats, and hull?
The Speedo not working could be the paddlewheel assembly. On mine it was the sensor that packed it in.

I just sent the guy with those questions! Thanks! Like I said earlier, the seller got this on a trade. I am not optimistic he knows the answers to any of these questions. Hence my reluctance to pay $5000.

Galvanized trailers are much more robust than mild steel, much less maintenance on the frame. If salt water is involved in your plans, it has to be galvanized. FWIW

Are you able to do your own maintenance? These boats like any other, have to be serviced regularly and shop rates add up quickly.

Pre-cut and sewn vinyl interior kits are available..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back