2001 Seadoo GTX DI won't stay running on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelRoll

Hello everyone. My ski runs fine out of water and with water line hooked up, but when I put it in water it runs for a few seconds then dies and will not restart. It just keeps cranking over and over. When I take it out of the water and let it sit for a while I will start and run on trailer. I took it to a couple of shops and they told me it needs a new motor. I can believe that is the case.

I like to work on everything, but have not work on a PWC before. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

The DI ski requires some very specific things. One of which is Fuel Pump Pressure.

You need to do two tests and then we can go from there.
A cylinder compression test and a Fuel Pump Pressure test. At idle, 107 PSI is the normal.

Normally this engine will produce 130~145psi static compression in excellent running condition. If too low the engine needs to be rebuilt.

DING DING DING.... we have a winner. (lol)

OK... but seriously... I'm guessing the compression is low, and once it has a load on the pump, and water in the muffler... it doesn't have enough compression to run. I've seen this a lot of times.

The good news is... if this is the case... a fresh set of rings can bring it back. (and it's cheap)

So... check that, and we can go from there.

I have the same Ski but different issues. Rebuild the engine totally in my opinion, the DI's suck they take so much care and maintenance I just payed over 250 dollars in the Rave engine valves and the Water box valve as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back