2001 Sea-Doo Rx or 2002 RX-DI? Please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpFe

Hi everyone, I just created my account here on the forums! There are two seadoos that I'm looking at and trying to decide which one to get. The first one is a 2002 RX-DI with 130 hours $3500 with trailer (lowest $ he will go). It looks very clean all around, the cleanest seadoo ive looked at in person on craigslist, looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Engine looks flawless no corrosion or rust. The compression checks were perfect and each cylinder were spot on. But I have been doing alot of research and seen that people were having serious issues with the RX-DI engines because of the injection and electronics that come with that.
-Next is the 2001 RX with 90 hours $3500 also no trailer (possibly negotiable). Looks fairly clean not as clean as the RX-DI but in good shape, no corrosion or rust.
Which one do you guys think I should go with? I work on all my vehicles so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty but I don't want to be working on the seadoo more than I play with it..I've also noticed that the RX has the same horsepower but weighs about 20lbs lighter. Please leave me your opinions about these seadoos I would greatly appreciate it!

ive never had rx di but with all the controversy over the di model, i would go with rx carb. but to be honest with u, i would start shopping again because 3500 way to much.

They are all priced around $3500 here where I live in California. What is a good price for the 2001 rx and 2002 rx-di?

around here if u search good u can get one for about a thousand or so least.

Yeah, wait till December- February The di's are great ski's for about 200 hours. they made the rx carb model in 2002 as well. A good RX carb will run about 2300-3500 here in dallas. Its really about the same for a di. Just a little bit more. Like the 2800-4000 on CL. I'd stick to the carb models though.

those prices seem high, same ski's 2500-3k around here in FL, i'd expand your search area, and IMO, i'd avoid a DI unless you have experience or have a buddy that works for beer. so maybe in CA those prices are accurate, i dunno.

lets back up and ask a few questions

is this your first ski?
where will you ride, ocean, river, lake ?
will you be riding solo, or with a passenger
mechanical background if any ?
if none, do you know a good mechanic or will you just "wing it" when it breaks.

skip the DI, it was a good idea that worked fine for 5 or so years, but after 10+ there just breaking down and a nightmare to troubleshoot / parts...

carbs waste fuel, aren't as sophisticated, but after 10 years, easily rebuilt on the cheap.

those prices seem high, same ski's 2500-3k around here in FL, i'd expand your search area, and IMO, i'd avoid a DI unless you have experience or have a buddy that works for beer. so maybe in CA those prices are accurate, i dunno.

lets back up and ask a few questions

is this your first ski?
where will you ride, ocean, river, lake ?
will you be riding solo, or with a passenger
mechanical background if any ?
if none, do you know a good mechanic or will you just "wing it" when it breaks.

-Yes this will be my first ski, rode many before but finally have a chance to buy one myself
-I will be taking it to some rivers and lakes, not the ocean but the ocean does looks pretty fun to ride in
-Mostly solo but sometimes with a passenger, surely a 2 seater and def not a 3 seater they look too big
-Hardly ever go to the shop..I work on all my machines myself thanks to youtube and google lol.
-I'm starting to think about scratching the RX's and going with a 97 gsx (110hp) or 99 gsx limited (130hp) since everyone here seems to be overpricing and not letting their RX's go for less than $3500
-I would go with the 97 spx (110hp) since the hp to weight ratio makes it faster than the 97, 99 gsx (130hp), and the RX's but I don't like the look and style of the 97 spx's

yes, if first ski,,, and you go with the ugly spx, then scratch the idea of a passenger, it will hold a 2nd rider, but not well.
the 99 gsx IMO would be a better overall beginner ski... but TRY to buy one with less than 150 hours, cuz the 951 is pretty much a ski that needs rebuilt every 200 hours.

Yes I think I'm going to go with a gsx 100% Thank you for your opinions!
So what would be a good price for the 99 gsx 951 with 77 hours? And also for the 97 gsx 782cc with less than 10 hours on new engine?

Yes I think I'm going to go with a gsx 100% Thank you for your opinions!
So what would be a good price for the 99 gsx 951 with 77 hours? And also for the 97 gsx 782cc with less than 10 hours on new engine?

assuming clean hulls, and nice trailer, clear title, etc
here in florida,,
99 gsx 951 $1900 to 2200ish (but i've seen $1500)
97 gsx 787 $1500 to 1800ish (but i've seen $1100)

if it has old battery, grey fuel lines, rusty trailer, then on the lower side...or even lower, if it has good battery, black fuel lines, clean trailer, then on high side... , with subtractions for hull condition.

if the "new" engine only has 10 hours, i'd love to see paperwork, was it a complete rebuild, or a top end job and a can of rattle paint making it look "new" if it was complete rebuild, new crank, etc, reputable shop, then that increases the value,
if the "new: engine ski still has grey fuel lines, assume the worst, (old crank, etc) nobody worth their salt would replace the engine w/o replacing those crap lines. a ski with 10 hours on the engine should be spotless inside the hull IMO, no dirt, grunge, oil, clean carbs, black fuel lines, yada yada... oh, and make sure its a sealed agm battery , not a cheapo wally world acid battery with the 6 little plugs in it.

flashlight test is important, take your time and look slowly and carefully thru the entire inside of the hull, compression test IMO is very important, water test as well if it can be arranged. as a buyer, i'd love to have a water test, or at LEAST have an owner that doesn't say 'no friggen way'

look over the ski and trailer, very closely, nicks, scratches, dirt, grease grime, ask owner which oil they use, and have them show you the can of oil, and make sure they used api-tc oil and NOT tcw3, ask them if they flushed if they rode salt/brackish and have them show you where the flush kit is, where the flush fitting is... hold out for life jackets, tow ropes, make sure fire extinguisher is in there etc.. trailer bearings quiet, tires in good shape, springs rusty, lights work, etc ??? if you buy it, have him show you how to flush it... etc.

Has he had it serviced, when and by whom, has he added grease into the zerk fittings ? has pump been serviced? how does prop look thru the pump, is the grate in good shape, ride plate? how about the bottom of the hull, is paint missing ?

all these things reduce the value.

if you don't like the answers you get from the owner, consider walking away,

most of the ski's I purchase are broken down ski's so maybe i'm overlooking something, but as a seller, i might suggest some other buyer "tips & tricks"

1) bring cash, show the cash, lowball and let him see the cash, all $100's,, they're pretty, if he's been selling this on CL, he's probably had a buyer or 3 already stiff him and not show up, they will lowball him over the phone, promise to buy but never come back, etc.. cash is king, he might have hit his frustration point and be willing to take money in hand. and us humans, we reach our frustration point right around the 3rd idiot that calls us about that dam ski.... (his wife is already pissed at him because on Thursday they sat around the dam house for 3 hours because some CL idiot was coming by to buy the ski)

2) show up early, try to catch the seller unprepared, at least 15 minutes.

ask lots of questions, where do you ride, with whom, how often, get a good feel.
don't ask "you flush it everytime right ? " he'll always say yes to that
ask, do you flush it? if yes, then ask, can you show me how you flush it I'll need to know, a good owner can do that in his sleep.

look around the sellers garage, is he a mechanic/flipper, with parts, stands, projects on the workbench? sometimes that's a good thing but sometime's its bad if he frankensteined a motor together with swept off the garage floor parts and painted it to look "rebuilt"

look at it in the daytime, in the driveway so you can get a really good look at it, not at night in a back yard, or a dark garage.

is the registration current? does the owners name on the title, and the guy your talking to have the same name ? ask him when he bought it then look at the title to see when was the title last transferred. does the story match ?

if he's owned it for 6 month or less, his story better be good, or i'd be leery.

phew.. i'm tired....

Last edited by a moderator:
assuming clean hulls, and nice trailer, clear title, etc
here in florida,,
99 gsx 951 $1900 to 2200ish (but i've seen $1500)
97 gsx 787 $1500 to 1800ish (but i've seen $1100)

if it has old battery, grey fuel lines, rusty trailer, then on the lower side...or even lower, if it has good battery, black fuel lines, clean trailer, then on high side... , with subtractions for hull condition.

if the "new" engine only has 10 hours, i'd love to see paperwork, was it a complete rebuild, or a top end job and a can of rattle paint making it look "new" if it was complete rebuild, new crank, etc, reputable shop, then that increases the value,
if the "new: engine ski still has grey fuel lines, assume the worst, (old crank, etc) nobody worth their salt would replace the engine w/o replacing those crap lines. a ski with 10 hours on the engine should be spotless inside the hull IMO, no dirt, grunge, oil, clean carbs, black fuel lines, yada yada... oh, and make sure its a sealed agm battery , not a cheapo wally world acid battery with the 6 little plugs in it.

flashlight test is important, take your time and look slowly and carefully thru the entire inside of the hull, compression test IMO is very important, water test as well if it can be arranged. as a buyer, i'd love to have a water test, or at LEAST have an owner that doesn't say 'no friggen way'

look over the ski and trailer, very closely, nicks, scratches, dirt, grease grime, ask owner which oil they use, and have them show you the can of oil, and make sure they used api-tc oil and NOT tcw3, ask them if they flushed if they rode salt/brackish and have them show you where the flush kit is, where the flush fitting is... hold out for life jackets, tow ropes, make sure fire extinguisher is in there etc.. trailer bearings quiet, tires in good shape, springs rusty, lights work, etc ??? if you buy it, have him show you how to flush it... etc.

Has he had it serviced, when and by whom, has he added grease into the zerk fittings ? has pump been serviced? how does prop look thru the pump, is the grate in good shape, ride plate? how about the bottom of the hull, is paint missing ?

all these things reduce the value.

if you don't like the answers you get from the owner, consider walking away,

most of the ski's I purchase are broken down ski's so maybe i'm overlooking something, but as a seller, i might suggest some other buyer "tips & tricks"

1) bring cash, show the cash, lowball and let him see the cash, all $100's,, they're pretty, if he's been selling this on CL, he's probably had a buyer or 3 already stiff him and not show up, they will lowball him over the phone, promise to buy but never come back, etc.. cash is king, he might have hit his frustration point and be willing to take money in hand. and us humans, we reach our frustration point right around the 3rd idiot that calls us about that dam ski.... (his wife is already pissed at him because on Thursday they sat around the dam house for 3 hours because some CL idiot was coming by to buy the ski)

2) show up early, try to catch the seller unprepared, at least 15 minutes.

ask lots of questions, where do you ride, with whom, how often, get a good feel.
don't ask "you flush it everytime right ? " he'll always say yes to that
ask, do you flush it? if yes, then ask, can you show me how you flush it I'll need to know, a good owner can do that in his sleep.

look around the sellers garage, is he a mechanic/flipper, with parts, stands, projects on the workbench? sometimes that's a good thing but sometime's its bad if he frankensteined a motor together with swept off the garage floor parts and painted it to look "rebuilt"

look at it in the daytime, in the driveway so you can get a really good look at it, not at night in a back yard, or a dark garage.

is the registration current? does the owners name on the title, and the guy your talking to have the same name ? ask him when he bought it then look at the title to see when was the title last transferred. does the story match ?

if he's owned it for 6 month or less, his story better be good, or i'd be leery.

phew.. i'm tired....

o_O WOW! Thankyou VERY much Spimothy for this awesome write-up. This will help me out a TON! I'm going to print this out and take it with me when I go see the seadoo LOL. I really appreciate the help! I don't know why but the seadoos here are really expensive!
Theres only one gsx with the 951 and its the 99. The second closest one is about 800miles away:l
Everything in the pictures look super clean and the guy is stuck on $3000 with no trailer included, its been on craigslist for months, so hopefully in a couple days when I go look at it I can use your write-up here and find some things to drive the price down and hope that the money will talk!

o_O WOW! Thankyou VERY much Spimothy for this awesome write-up. This will help me out a TON! I'm going to print this out and take it with me when I go see the seadoo LOL. I really appreciate the help! I don't know why but the seadoos here are really expensive!
Theres only one gsx with the 951 and its the 99. The second closest one is about 800miles away:l
Everything in the pictures look super clean and the guy is stuck on $3000 with no trailer included, its been on craigslist for months, so hopefully in a couple days when I go look at it I can use your write-up here and find some things to drive the price down and hope that the money will talk!

thanks for the nice comments, give me 2 beers and a keyboard and sometimes I get carried away :)

one of these day's i'll sort it all out and make a sticky worthy post on this subject, something along the lines of "Things your jet ski seller doesn't want you to know" or something like that lol

I have a 00 RX carb and I love it. Its fast enough, handles great and not terrible to work on. mine has 115 ish hours on it, with just mostly normal maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back