2001 GTX runs at high rpms and wont turn off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

binx406

I have a 2001 GTX seadoo and when i started it up this year, it idled fine but after revving it, the engine rpms kept getting faster and faster. i tried to stop the engine with the start stop switch, remove the spark plug caps and after no success i turned the fuel off and let it run dry. could anyone help me with this problem?

Well the good news is, you now know how a diesel engine works. Ok seriously, this happens if the temperature inside the cylinder gets hot enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture without the need of electric spark plugs. This is caused by a very lean mixture that maximizes combustion temperature. Lean meaning too much air and not enough fuel.

Look for causes of lean air/fuel ratio.

GregB

and as we all know, leaner is meaner!! maybe:cheers: an oiler issue though, clogged or something. i would pre-mix a bit before she goes up in smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Next time this happens use the choke to kill the engine.

2. Look for air leaks. If the carbs have recently been removed and reinstalled, check the gaskets and mating surfaces.

well we took the carbs off and cleaned the filters in the carbs and replaced everything to its proper torque. it might be the mixture. it did this last year to me as well and scared me to death because the choke wasnt cutting it off and even removing the spark cap didnt stop it. it was dieseling on me for sure. could it me a gasket?

Replace the carb to manifold gaskets, do not use old gaskets. Double check you have ALL the remnants of the old gaskets removed from both surfaces. Carefully clean with a razor blade, very fine sandpaper, or your finger nail. It is crucial that there is no gap for air to enter.

When reinstalling the carbs hold the new gaskets in place with a small amount of grease, so they don't shift while installing the carbs.

Make sure you have the throttle cable end in the first, not second hole of the linkage. Double check with a mirror to make sure the butterflies are closed when the cable is in the idle position when the engine is off.

Also check the o-ring on the main fuel filter bowl and replace if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any air leak is gonna make this symptom after the motor gets warmed, be careful to solve this before you burn/leanout psitons, take a old shop cloth soaked in kerosene around the motor flanges to find the leak, the RV/carbs seal is found often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back