something I have never seen before

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Frige

I have been posting about carb issues. So I started it today to try to adjust the carb and figure out whats going on. Im haveing to pull the choke to get the engine to start and its erratic. At first idling high then revving up for no reason. The thottle blades are shut so no adjustment there. I started turning back the idle adjustment when it starts taking off. Faster and faster. I pushed the off button and nada. Ran over in a panic and pulled the battery off nada pulled the wires off the plugs, nope. Finally pulled my shirt off and covered the carb and shut it down. I have had a 2 cycle run away and diesel like that. What the heck?

Bet that was exciting. 951's are notorious for doing that but any two stroke will do it. Pull the choke and it should shut down quickly. I've heard holding the throttle wide open is another option but but I can't bring myself to do that. I learned to recognize a potential runaway quickly before it takes off. :D I don't do more than run a 951 for a few seconds in the driveway. I haven't had the problem with the smaller engined Seadoos.

Quick thinking anway. A video would be cool. Ha ha. You've been baptized !!

Before I try again. Im thinking it went lean causing the cylinder to get hot. Possibly the electrode was glowing allowing it to run without spark. I will open the idle adjustment back so it doesnt do it again.

High idle exacerbates runaways. You can give it more fuel VIA the low speed adjuster position but that doesn't mean it won't do it again. It is a combination of issues. I find "first starts" after carb rebuilds the 951's are especially prone to running away as the carbs are already lean as they fill up with fuel for the first time. I don't set idle over 2800 rpm out of the water on a 951.

Pulling the choke is the easiest way to kill a runaway ski. Runaway is not uncommon on a 951.

I would first try to reduce the idle, if that doesn't work you are going to have to make it richer on the low speed to cool the combustion chamber but this might lead to hesitation.

You could also have an air leak at the carb gaskets if they moved during installation.

Here you go from the legend....

"Bill's top 12 causes of runaway 947 engines.

1. Most common reason is out of the water and the idle set just 100 to 200 rpm too high. The confusing part to a 947 newby is that all other 2 stroke Sea doo engine models are set to 3000 rpm out of the water, but a 947 idles perfectly in the water when you set the idle speed at 27-2800 out of the water.

2. Allowing the head to get too hot because it is running without water going through the motor when on the trailer.

3. And some of these next reasons could be a toss up in order, Replacing the carbs onto the engine for whatever reason and setting up the throttle cable adjustment too tight at the carb cable bracket, leaving the throttle plates slightly cracked open.

4. Clogged or partially clogged low speed jets.

5. Low speed adjusters are set too far in, not allowing enough fuel to pass at idle speed.

6. Water in the gas tank that ends up inside the carbs blocking fuel flow through the jets.

7. A poor job of keeping the carb base gaskets aligned when replacing the carbs onto the manifolds equals an air leak.

8. A pin hole or split in the plastic tubing that connects the engine case pressure fitting to the check valve in the rave valve pressure supply line, or a broken check valve in that same line. This allows air to go into the engine during up strokes, leaning out the mixture.

9. One stuck needle valve that will not open.

10. Rust inside the carbs, see #6.

11. A pin hole in the fuel pump pulse line.

12. A rod hanging out the side of the cases ( or just any crack or hole in the cases ). Do not laugh, I have had customers come in saying they needed a "tune up because the motor runs away on them " only to point to that rod hanging half way out of the motor and the lower case half nearly sawed in two.

Bill O'Neal
WCM"

Im going to try it again this afternoon. Im leaning towards a air leak. I did not do a leak down test on it as being lazy and I needed to make some plates to block off the ports. I sure hope its not a seal

What about point number 9 ? In your other thread you were saying that sometimes the needle would not pop and just piss.

Back