2001 GTX RFI $300 find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw520

Greetings fellow watercraftsmen, I purchased this 01 GTX RFI ridiculously cheap with trailer because the PO had removed the engine to replace a starter, then lost interest upon reassembly. As I received it with a new aftermarket starter is installed, and the engine just sitting in hull. So upon getting it home I pulled the engine out a set it on my work bench, my intentions are to clean it up, check compression, replace all hoses, lines, ect and if all check out, drop it back in. Any information on the RFI 787 before putting the motor back in would be greatly appreciated. A couple of question I have are;

The aftermarket starter is a EMS global, Ive been told by others not to mess with aftermarket starters because they just dont last and Ill be pulling the motor again soon to replace it,... is that true ?

The injection rail; Im well versed with Mikuni carbs and have rebuilt several with great success but have no experience with this injection rail, how durable is it ?..... can I just clean it up and and put it back in ? or is there an upgrade ? or possibly putting twin Mikuni's a better option ?

The steering cable is frozen, is there a technique for unfreezing or just purchase another ?

All your expertise and help is greatly appreciated, thank you

20150722_151422.jpg20150722_151346.jpg

Generally speaking, aftermarket starters for the Seadoo are horrible. Sure, some have installed them and never had an issue, but statistically speaking, most go bad WAY to soon..

The very best thing to do is, purchase a used one and install a brush kit into it. (Like 20 bucks from eBay).
[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] will likely have a starter for you if you choose to go that route.

Thank You Joe, Well i did the compression check, 145psi mag & 150psi pto, so all looks good so far, dusted it with a light coat of paint, next to check crankcase oil,...
...anything else before I begin assembly ??

20150723_154549_resized.jpg20150723_154711-1_resized.jpg

Looks good to me. Sounds like you got a good deal. Just hope the expensive parts are good.

But I will echo Joe's comments. The aftermarket starts all SUCK !!!! I haven't seen one last more than a year. A lot of them will fail on the first day out. And I'm not just talking brushes, or windings. I've seen way too many have the output shaft break free. When that happens, it can damage the flywheel. It's just not worth it in my book.

I recommend buying a $40 OEM off ebay. When you get it... take it apart, clean it... and if the brushes are warn, replace them. I've "Cleaned" 15 year old OEM starters... and had them last another 5 years. (but probably longer, since they went to new owners)

Replace the steering cable. They are never the same after they freeze up. I had a friend end up about 20' up the shore when one broke on his Polaris SL 900. Not very safe to run without steering.

OK just order a mint OEM starter on eBay for $55. and a nice steering cable for $54.
The oil pump looks a little crusty on this machine, aside from cleaning her up, are they servicable or rebuildable?

The oil pumps are not serviceable. If it is just dirty clean it up. They very rarely fail but make sure you replace the little lines from the pump to the intake and the white filter.

Previous owner had told me that this machine has just 80 hrs on it,... looking over the rave's I tend to believe it,20150727_131610_resized.jpg

Mag cover looks like it had gotten some water in it at one time,... maybe through starter ???

20150727_143536_resized.jpg

I'll clean er' up and hope for the best.

Today I received the OEM starter and installed it,... engine turns over nicely. Pulled the oil tank and fuel tank out to clean, the tank was surprisingly clean but the external pick-up screen was filthy, new strainers on order, (internal & external). Bench tested the fuel pump and it seems A-ok. Reinstalled the mag cover with new seal, also put some sealer on the starter/block, a possible place of moisture entry. Bench tested fuel injectors and they check out as well.

20150804_143913_resized.jpg

Ok engine is back in and as you know this machine came to me as a basket case, so I using manuals and searching here to figure out where and how things go back together. I have (2) connections I cant figure out,... one looks like an injector connection, but I have both injectors hooked up. The other is a (3) wire shown here.

20150804_143804_resized_1.jpg20150804_143559_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it seems the po didnt include the coil pack/plug wire assembly, so I just ordered one on ebay,........ but where do you mount the coil ???

Im also trying to figure out where and how to hook up the magneto cooler ???

i dont know about the gtx but the gsx has the coil mount just under the seat on the right side. it's a stainless steel plate bracket with 3 mounting studs. as for the mag cooler, there a hose fitting on the bottom side of the engine that it connects to.
BTW nice find for a nice price.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jammin, yea hoping this one is a keeper, very low hrs but I received it needing assembly, so not being the one who took it apart ads to the challenge of putting it back together.
Im guessing I will need that coil bracket as well. Ill look it up.

After reading a thread on here from Grizz400, I discovered that the one connection (square plug w/metal clip) goes to the rave solenoid located on the left side gunwale way up almost under the lip of the hull. It looks identical to an injector plug and apparently fits the same!,... have to make sure I get them on the right plugs.

rave selinoid.jpg

..... the fuel and oil tanks are cleaned and put back in,... Quicksilver PWC full synthetic in the oil tank bleeding down,...

20150806_162949_resized.jpg

Everything is done!,....Just waiting for my coil pack to arrive so I can fire this baby up,.. fingers crossed !

20150806_163107_resized.jpg

I have a 2000 GTX and my coil mounts under the seat. I also got mine for $300 and was a basket case thanks to the previous owners running premix which trashed the injectors, the oil pump was MIA and the fuel pump was trashed. The injectors I bought new but the rest of the parts I got from ebay. Redline motorsports seems to have a good amount of parts.

I've got the same ski! Progress is looking good, hope it doesn't need too many knots ironed out

Thank you Ranga, all the original sensors are still in their factor positions (TPS, ATS, APS),... and with only 80 hrs on her I hoping things are unchanged when re-starting....speaking of which, today might be the day I fire her off!

I have a 2000 GTX and my coil mounts under the seat. I also got mine for $300 and was a basket case thanks to the previous owners running premix which trashed the injectors, the oil pump was MIA and the fuel pump was trashed. The injectors I bought new but the rest of the parts I got from ebay. Redline motorsports seems to have a good amount of parts.

Brianh,... so is yours up and running now ??

Ok,... so, what I thought I was getting was a low hr OEM starter,... doesnt seem to crank the engine under compression. Spark Plugs out it turns over fine,... put spark plugs in,.. and it wont turn over under compression......

Im jumping the starter right off a fresh battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back